Les Paul "improvements" circa 1976

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Garygtr, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I recently picked up a copy of CREEM magazine (Boy Howdy!) from October 1976 at a flea market. Along with a cover story on the Stones are several great (from a nostalgic standpoint) features, including an overview of music gear. From the guitar section:

Gibson: "All praise to Gibson for taking giant steps this year to improve their Les Paul models. One major improvement in the new Les Paul Deluxe, standard and custom models, is a maple neck with rosewood fretboard instead of the traditional mahogany neck. The harder maple sustains longer and has a cleaner brighter tone, as well as having less chance of neck warpage or breakage."

:jo
    :Spank :Spank :Spank :Spank :Spank

The best quote in the whole mag is from Keith (of course) responding to Ian Anderson's criticism of the Stones for leaving England due to tax reasons:
    "He sounded more like some provincial tax accountant. Who wants that freaky acid head flute player teaching you about tax anyways?"

And regarding Mick Taylor:
    "Mick Taylor is basically a cold fish." :D

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

As I recall... Ian Anderson is now one of the 5 richest guys in the UK...

Also in 1976, people thought brass nuts and brass sustain blocks under the bridge and tailpiece were a good idea. If a guitar weighed less than 35 lbs, it obviously wouldn't sustain.:cool:

3. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

What really stood out in the gear section was the LACK OF OPTIONS, especially in the amplifier dept. (Peavey, Fender, Marshall, Marlboro, Acoustic-not much more). Gentlemen, we are truly living in a great era. ;)

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

Let me tell you, I had one of those LP Deluxes, an '81 with a maple neck/rosewood board.

That thing did sustain like crazy, had the truest neck and cleanest/lowest action of any guitar I've played and sounded totally killer.

Maybe...just maybe Gibson actually knew what they doing???

5. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Those maple neck Les Pauls were stable. The only problem was that they were heavy as hell, and didn't sound as warm.

I'll take my Mahogany necks, thank you.

6. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

Man I LIVED for CREEM magazine back in the 1970's! I was a teenager in high school and that was and to this day still is the greatest "Fanzine" ever done! They would openly make fun of the guys they considered "dorky" like Geddy Lee (No offense to you RUSH fans...I like him too, I'm just talking about how the magazine created controversy as a marketing tool here). I remember them comparing Geddy's singing to a "Duck" and laughing at his playing and saying that he didn't even deserve to TUNE Paul Mcartney's bass! LOL! That was some funny and irreverant ****!
    And remember "BOY HOWDY" beer? I don't know if that stuff even really existed! But every month they would have a famous rockstar holding a can of it in a pic. I don't consider Grace Slick to be very attractive...but when I was 15 years old in 1996 I tore out the page of her holding a "Boy Howdy" with one of her tits out and I "used" that many, many times! :D
    Good times....

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

The one Les Paul I kept has a maple neck, it is heavy but very resonant. My 2nd favourite of all time.

Best, Pete.

8. Ron K

Ron K Member

You guys are giving me flashbacks!! Our high school had (still has) a real FM radio station, and I remember sitting in the production office and cracking up reading "letters to the editor" in Creem. Even at age 15 I used to wonder "Are they makin' this s#!t UP???" Great memories...

9. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

10. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

11. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Ohhh boyyy :eek: now that was naughty! :Spank :D :AOK

12. erksin

erksin Member

Remember the mag well, and a maple neck '78 Deluxe is my main guitar...

[​IMG]