Les Paul -----Jazz Guitar

Is there anything I can do to set up my les paul for more of a jazz sound. Right now it has '57 classic humbuckers in it and I'm just looking to get a jazzier sound out the entire guitar in general.

jcoggins7

Hmm maybe lower the pickups some as well. FWIW, I've never, ever considered the Les Paul a jazz guitar, especially after hearing some people try and pull it off, and that's how I will probably always feel. I think you're looking in the wrong place for jazz tones. Now an ES-137...that's a different story.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
A little thicker strings, .011's or .012's as Bryan said. Lower the pickups a little, as Jcoggins7 said.

Try slightly raising the action - SLIGHTLY, and roll the tone knob off some. Lots of guys play Les Pauls for jazz.

If that doesn't do it, you're gonna have to look at a different guitar. A Les Paul usually won't sound hollow next to a real hollowbody guitar, but if you're the only guitar player it should be fine.

Good Luck, Dana O.

southpawmax

Hmm maybe lower the pickups some as well. FWIW, I've never, ever considered the Les Paul a jazz guitar, especially after hearing some people try and pull it off, and that's how I will probably always feel. I think you're looking in the wrong place for jazz tones. Now an ES-137...that's a different story.
I heard some guy playing some mean jazz stuff on a Les Paul. I forget his name, it starts with an L, I want to say Les Paul, but I'm not sure.

I would say heavier strings, and lowered pickups should be a solid start. Maybe even switch out the pickups for lower output ones or 'bucker sized P90s

daddyo

I heard some guy playing some mean jazz stuff on a Les Paul. I forget his name, it starts with an L, I want to say Les Paul, but I'm not sure.

I would say heavier strings, and lowered pickups should be a solid start. Maybe even switch out the pickups for lower output ones or 'bucker sized P90s
I saw the same cat. Old guy, maybe as old as 90. Balding, used to perform with his wife. First name was Len, Larry, maybe Les. Second name started with a P - Polson, Paulus, Paul? Did a couple of albums with Chet Atkins. Anyone know this cat who played jazz on a Les Paul?

KRosser

Some of my favorite John Abercrombie stuff was done on a Les Paul Deluxe, with the mini-hums, and really light strings.

I think it has to do more with what you play than how the guitar's set up.

Mc Tanza

the LP can be a great Jazz machine, specially the LP Custom. Apart from the tips the previous posters have offered, I'd suggest to use the modern wiring (attenuated highs) and not the 50's wiring. Then use the neck pickup, roll off a bit the tone control, and dial your volume between 5 and 7. A good clean amp and your fingers will do the rest.

dougb415

Heard some fantastic jazz playing on a Les Paul at the Nashville GC a while back. Creamy smooth, no distortion; this was on a Lester pulled off the rack. Dude was on a very subtle burn.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
Then use the neck pickup, roll off a bit the tone control, and dial your volume between 5 and 7.
Yep. It's taboo to a lot of players, but turning down the volume and tone controls is key.

Also, a small heavy pick, I use a heavy Fender 358, will make your guitar sound darker.

BobbyRay

Silver Supporting Member
Some of my favorite John Abercrombie stuff was done on a Les Paul Deluxe, with the mini-hums, and really light strings.

I think it has to do more with what you play than how the guitar's set up.

I agree 100 percent!

Marty s Horne

Gibson uses the 57 Classics on most of their hollowbody guitars so before changing them, I'd try rolling off some of the high end on the amp and playing on the neck pickup with the tone control backed down.

johnzias

I have '57 Classics on my CS L-5. Keep 'em. I agree, you can get killer Jazz tones with a LP set to the neck pickup, especially with a Blackface amp. I recently recorded an uptempo Samba using my '61 SGLP. The original PAF neck pickup killed in that context.

Cussion

Bill Connors had some great times with a Les Paul Custom.
I heard a Return to Forever show where he had a very clean smoky tone, probably his Les Paul through a Hiwatt amp.
They played "Spain" and his neck-pup jazz tone was stellar!

JSeth

HEAVY strings - try 12's or 13's - flatwound are good - much fatter tones from every string...IMO
John Seth Sherman

Trending Topics