Les Paul Jr. Faux Binding

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dubdub, Apr 10, 2015.

1. dubdub

dubdub Member

Found a cheapie LPJr copy and I want to add faux binding similar to this

[​IMG]

Anybody have any pics of an LPJr with faux binding? I cant seem to find any.

2. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

What is faux binding?

3. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Taping it off and sanding the finish down so the bare wood looks like binding. I've seen a couple LP studios with it, looks great as long as you get the line straight.

4. archey

archey Member

That looks like regular plastic binding to me. As far as taping off and leaving the edges unstained goes I haven't seen any junior style guitars with it. Is it all mahogany or is there a maple top? I don't think you could get a very good binding effect with anything but maple.

5. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Gotcha. Like this...

[​IMG]

In woodworking, this would be an accent, not "faux binding." Never heard that term before.

I did that from bare wood, though. Not sure how I'd go about doing it while starting with an already painted guitar.

I'd probably paint the accents on or use a good pin striping tape.

6. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

I don't know how you would do that with the rounded off (radiused) edge of the body.

7. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

The one in the pic above was easy, since it has a large roundover radius on the corner. That provides a natural straight edge for the sandpaper. Trying to drop down a flat side is going to be darn near impossible. The easiest way to do it would be with a router and just install real binding. Lol.

8. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

I had a guy paint the top on a damaged ProJet I had that had binding. I masked the sides around the outside edge and let him paint the top over the binding. I just wet sanded the edge until the white rim f the binding showed through.

I suppose you could do the same with the faux binding. Paint the back and sides with the "binding" masked up to the edge of the top and paint the sides and top at the same time. After removing the tape, you will have a ragged edge around the top edge of the body but you could angle the sandpaper using the body edge as your guide like SPROING said and sand until the edge is uniform and cleaned up. I would shoot the body with clear first to keep the color from soaking into the natural binding.