Les Paul jr, special, or what?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jack Dotson, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Anyone know exactly what this guitar is? Is it a LP special, LP Jr special or or what? Looks like a Special, but is unique in that it has the small trapezoid inlays that seem to be rare on a single cut. I know the double cut Jr Specials had these in-lays so did they also make a single cut version of the Jr Special or what? Kind of looks like a Bob Marley which I think is really cool. It's a 1999 model.

[​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270264352374

BTW, this one is on the way to my house. :) The owner said he bought it used and was told the pick-up's had been changed. Did this model come with P-90's or P-100's?

Thanks.

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

It looks like a Special to me.

Try e-mailing Gibson support with the serial number. They can tell you the actual model name from that info.

3. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

It definitely is a Les Paul Special.

It differs from the current history re-issue mainly because it sports a Tune-o-Matic rather than a wraparound bridge.

Musician's Friend recently had a special run for about 2.5 times what you paid so I think you've got yourself a pretty good deal.

As for the Custom Shop re-issue, I would love to have one but at almost three grand I am still iffy about it...

4. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Yes, a LP Special here's mine:

[​IMG]

they (re-issues) originally come with P-100's.

5. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

Gorgeous!

The current CS Specials come with P-90s though.

6. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Thanks!

Really CS? Cool! I've never seen them. Do you have a link? I've always wanted a Special since the early 90's because of Marley (P-90's). I am thinking of changing them to P-90's. Maybe.. :)

[​IMG]

7. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

8. Jack Dotson

That's a sweet looking guitar. What year? The one I'm getting is still a little different as it has the trapezoid inlays like Marley's. I've seen allot of Specials, but none other than Marley's and the one I bought that are a single cut with the different inlays.

They must have only made this model for a short period of time. Anyone have the model with the Trap inlays that can shared some info? I sent an email to Gibson a few days ago, but still haven't heard back. I've wrote them a few times in the past and have never received a response, so I doubt I get much from them.

9. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I was also looking for the one with inlays when I was searching for a Special on Ebay. They pop out from time to time. Just keep your eye open.

10. Jack Dotson

I actually have one on the way. I'm just trying to find out info about it.

Thanks.

11. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I believe all of the ones with the mini-traps were called Junior Special. It MIGHT have a a thinner body also & have an added "Lite" in the name.

Tony

12. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

that's correct I had a black double cut for a while. it was very nice. The mini trap inlays were only made for a few years and were calles the les paul junior lite. Has a thinner body. At least mine did. Not sure if your single cut is different.

13. Jack Dotson

During my research I found the LP Jr. lite, but I don't think it's the same guitar. From what I could tell the Jr Lite's were double cut with butter bean type tuners and chambered body's whereas mine is single cut with bell type tuners and full size body as far as I can tell. Seller told me it weights ~ 8 lbs.

I'm think it might have been called the LP Jr. Special and from what I can tell there aren't many like this one around. Here's a link I found that looks just about like the one I bought (should have it tomorrow):

http://64.15.237.164/products/gallery.asp?i=81&r=2535

Still would like to hear from those familar with these models who can share some more info about the guitar.

14. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

It appears to be a Junior Special from the late 1990s.

I am pretty sure that Bob Marley's Les Paul Special has a fingerboard from an ES-335.

15. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Yeah, that looks just like mine. Unbound neck and tune-o-matic setup. If it's stock those are P-100's, not P-90's. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

16. Jack Dotson

With the small trapezoid inlays? I read somewhere that he had the wrap around single piece bridge replaced with the two piece tun-o-matic type and had the holes plugged where the original bridge was installed. And if memory serves, he had the binding put on the neck and head stock and then later on the pick-guard and switch covers were replaced with the metal one's that are on the signature model (man I would love to have one of those). His head stock also matches the body and that throws me off. I'm not sure if he had that done or if his particular model came that way?

17. jtm622

jtm622 Member

I sold my stock '98 model LP Special a few months back - Like some other folks have said - all of those late '90's models had P-100's from the factory...