Les Paul Jr. vs. Special

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by c94123, Sep 12, 2008.

1. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

I'm really jonesing for a P90 loaded guitar. Ideally an R6, but don't want to drop that kinda coin at the moment. Will a Jr. with just the one PU give me enough exposure to various P90 tones or will I always be wishing for the flexibility of the second PU. I'm a classic rock, blues and country player mostly (some hard rock) and I'll be playing through an Axe-Fx so lots of options. Thanks in advance. I'm open to any P90 guitar, but like the feel of the LPs.

2. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I had a single-pickup P-90 guitar for awhile, and it can be made to work, but the tone of a neck P-90 is just so sweet, it's a shame to not even have it as an option. Check out a Godin LGP90 for a lower-cost singlecut alternative, albeit a bolt-on.

3. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

Thanks - probably the reply I'm expecting and thanks for the Godin reference. I'll take a look.

4. frank62

frank62 Member

Might look at a Hamer Special.

5. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

Get that Hamer in the for sale forum and put some Lollars in it. Great guitars for the money.

6. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I was looking to try one myself. Did a bit of research and ended up buying a slightly used Heritage H137, but it hasn't arrived yet. From everything I read, it should be outstanding at a not too crazy price.

I noticed this on ebay today. I have this guitar w/ Fralin HBs and love it. If the selling price in this is <$800 I suspect it would be a good deal, but you're likely looking for a solid body.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gadow-Custom-Ho...oryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7. ahab

ahab Member

To reiterate what as already been said. The sound of a P90 in the neck of a Gibson Les Paul is such a perfect tone--there's no way that I would settle on a single P90 guitar.

8. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

Thanks for the Heritage reference. Had completely spaced on them. Let me know what you think when you get it.

9. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

The 90's Specials (with neck binding) are very nice and can be typically found for well under $1000 ... great deal IMO.

Reverend also makes some great P90 guitars.

Also, aside from the R6, I'd strongly recommend checking out the Collings 290 ... their version of an LP Special, and typically about $1800 used.

10. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Here are two pics of the on-its-way Heritage. FYI as of a few days ago Wolfe guitars had one that was new w/ a small cosmetic issue priced like a factory second.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  11. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Ditto.

An LP Special -- especially the VOS models -- is an extraordinary guitar, IMO.

12. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

It's hard to beat a 90s Hamer Special for the type of guitar your looking for. Absolutely first rate USA materials and construction and they can be had for low dollars. Super clean, solid mahogany construction. The stock P90s are Seymour Duncan. The only reason I ever sold the one I had was because it had a rather slim (think Gibson slim-taper 60s) neck. If it would have had a fat neck I'd still have it to this day.

13. thesooze

thesooze Member

I played my buddy's VOS LPSpecial.... ruined my life. Wouldn't sell it to me. :BITCH

14. ss396

ss396 Member

+1! the special has something "special" going on. whenever i see someone playing live with one of these in a band situation they are generally amazing in the tones they generate. works for blues or classic rock.

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

I must be the odd one out in preferring the original Jnr. It has a purity of tone somehow - you'd better make it work!
    I do have an SG Special with two P90's that I like a lot too.

Best, Pete.

16. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

On the other hand, the bridge pickup sounds better on a LP Junior than the bridge pickup does on a LP Special, IMHO.

There's something about playing a one pickup guitar. It challenges you to use your hands in a different way than you use 'em on a two pickup guitar, and the results are palpable, IMHO. Plus, not having that second magnet around pulling on the strings makes for wonderful harmonics and sustain.

Nothing at all wrong with a LP Special - I have a great one myself and it's awesome to gig with. For me, they're two different beasts. Much of these LP Special v LP Junior discussions mirror like discussions about Strats v Teles - if you live on the neck pickup, you're gonna prefer the Strat; live on the bridge pickup, you'll probably prefer the Tele (or Esquire - GRIN).

The LP Special lets you get more tones from the guitar; but in my opinion, the LP Junior lets you/ helps you get more tones from the player.

The good news: There's no wrong decision - playing with P-90's is great ALL THE TIME, IMHO. The deeper and harder you rock on the gig (the more "hard rock" the gig is), the less you'll miss the neck pickup.

Dana O.

tvegas99 likes this.
  17. soulohio

soulohio Member

Dana O...when you gonna school me on partridge transformers in Orange amps...

18. gregc

gregc Member

The 2 pickup models are very cool. On the other hand, there's something about the single pickup models that makes it 'special' in it's own 'stripped down, hot rod way'. I've spoken with Jol Dantzig at Hamer about this. He very much agreed and loves the single pup model.
    tip: use the tone control. There's a lot of tonal variety there.

19. go7

go7 Member

There`s something very magical about a single P90 Jr. that just inspires me. Really a lot of tones if you use the knobs. Enjoy!

20. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Prairiewood by Rob Dixon, 57special, on TGP.

[​IMG]

Only $1,500.00

Where else will you find hand made, all by one craftsman, for that money?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008