Les Paul Jr.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nigel11, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

I have a single p-90 Jr. and would like some ideas on how to reduce the hum of the p-90. I was thinking of shielding or maybe a humbucker that still sounds like the p-90.

2. creamedcorn

creamedcorn Member

If it's not vintage you have lots of options from installing a P-100 to routing and installing a Humbucker. If it's vintage, get a new guitar with noiseless pups....

3. bassbuster33

bassbuster33 Member

I picked up a Boss NS-2 on Craigslist. Works great. P-90 tone, no noise.

4. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Do you use a lot of gain? My VOS some soft hum, but I use a NMV amp, and not much gain. I have played it in every dive around these parts, and unless I'm on top of my amp or 2 feet from a beer sign, it's fairly quiet..

I think the BJA Jr has a hum reducer PUP in it..?..? I have never played one though.

5. JimH

JimH Member

Shielding never hurts but won't make it a humbucker - I think the only humbucker that will fit is minibucker - doesn't sound like a 90. The noise supresssors work but only when you're not playing and can be awkward if playing softly/delicately as may well cut off what you want to preserve. There's no easy way round this I'm afraid - part of the 90 sound is the hum. If you're not bothered about originality and expense perhaps route for a bucker that sounds like a 90 - fralin 92 maybe or alternatively try the minibucker, which persoanlly I like or get a decimator or something.

6. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

This is my third p-90 guitar. I know they are noisy but this one seems to have a bit more. I will shield it and see if it helps.

7. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

could be in the wiring or a crappy pot if it seems excessive. a poor ground will make it squall.

8. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Does it hum while you're playing, or just when you stop?