Les Paul Junior - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bagpipe, Dec 12, 2005.

1. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

I'm GASing big time for some kind of Les Paul Junior but I dont have the big bucks at the moment. I'd like to spend somewhere around $700-800. I love the real simplicity of those guitars: one P90, one volume, one tone. My favourites are the double cut Juniors in TV yellow - those rock my World ! I know you can get those in the Les Paul Historic line but I dont have that kinda cash available. This doesnt have to the best guitar in the world, or ... the one! Just something that I can crank through my amp for some rock n'roll!

So far, I have looked at:

- Les Paul Junior from Musicians friend. These look good, are $649, but they dont ship to Canada and they are single cut and Sunburst only. Not my favourite combo.

- Hamer Special Korina Junior. These look fantastic but I was astonished to get a quote for $1800 for a new one from an on-line dealer. I'm sure they are great guitars but I didnt expect them to be that expensive.

- I also looked at the PRS SE Soapbar 2, but again, no TV Yellow. And 2 pickups.

Is there anything else available? I did see a picture of a Tokai which was double cut and TV Yellow, but I couldnt see them for sale anywhere.

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

What about the LP doublecut faded? They have the doublecut body shape, plus an extra P-90 at the neck. Still has the slab body like a Junior.

[​IMG]

I know MF sells them, but there's gotta be a Gibby dealer in Canada that will ship to you too.

3. axpro

axpro Member

Hey Bagpipe,

I know songbird music here in toronto tends to get them in spurts every now and then... what about Songbird in Ottawa, and if they don't mayeb they can have one shipped from T.O. I have had stuff sent here to toronto from theottawa store before..

and on the gibson front, Steves sells them don't they?

4. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

IMO, the difference in tone is pretty significant between a Junior and Special. The Jr.'s just seem to have a more aggressive edge to them.

Try looking on ebay for Tokai, Greco, Burny, ESP... You will sometimes see a cool Junior like you are looking for at a price at or around your ballpark. You can also look for Orville, but they are generally more expensive.

5. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

[​IMG]

Here`s my better Jr.

CT.

6. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

hamer has quite afew flavors (mahogany, korina, single cut, double cut, single pickup, two pickup, etc) to choose from. the double cut, single p/u, korina ones have been showing up used for stupid cheap prices.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Those are pretty expensive new. However, you'll see them pop up used in the $1,100 to $1,300 range fairly regularly. I think it would be worth saving for a bit longer and getting the Hamer. If it doesn't work out, you won'l lose much reselling it.

Bryan

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Same here. I liked the Historic I played but $2000 I couldn't justify it and that was when I was rolling in dotcom dough.

I bought a Epiphone LP Jr as sort of a fill-the-need-right-now purchase that was surprisingly good once I got all the kinks out of it. It was a bolt-on with a maple/mahogany mixed body but it managed to get a very good LP Jr. tone. They aren't available anymore but you might find a good one used. They even had a TV Yellow DC model of it.

I also bought an Agile LP Jr DC in their version of TV Yellow (more like Taxi Cab Yellow). This was a pretty disappointing purchase. While the construction quality was excellent, particularly considering the price, the guitar is heavy and dead tonally. The body has no resonance and the pickup sounds brittle and shrill. I may try a pickup swap on it before I give up on it but it has turned out to be one of my most disappointing gear purchases.

(Click on my sig link to read, see, and hear more about them.)

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I just bought one from here at TGP, priced right in that range. I second Bryan's advice. They're REALLY worth saving and waiting for. The korina Jr. I have kills tonewise, and is built as well as the best out there. Wait...watch...strike.

10. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Yup saw one in Toronto a couple of months ago. IIRC it was in the $900CDN range? Something like that, certainly affordable.

I would also talk to your local big Gibson dealer. By the time you factor in shipping, duties, and taxes, that $649US bargain starts to look a lot more expensive. For example:

$649US guitar
    $100US shipping
    $749 subtotal
    value for duty (at 1.16 exchange rate): $869CDN
    add 7% GST and 8% PST for a total of $999CDN
    also add any brokerage fees ($50+ for courier, $5-8 for Canada Post)

Now if you could find one locally new for say, $1000CDN, your price out the door would be $1150CDN w/tax. $150 more and you don't have to worry about shipping hassles and possible damage, paying a customs bill, etc.

11. goodtone

goodtone Member

I've got an eye on the Gibson Historic Junior. Musician's Friend has a TV or sunburst for $1899.00 if I'm not mistaken. I would think they'd hold their resale value. The new Hamer Korina's look real sweet as well, I know the Esctacy model with 2 pickups is the more versatile guitar, a 1 pickup junior style guitar has more appeal to me.

12. ungarn

ungarn Member

I got a used Jackson JJ2 Scott Ian model recently for $440 shipped...made in USA, Korina, Duncan humbuckers, unbelieveable build and action, kinda like an LP Jr., will probably get setup as a smokin' slide guitar.

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Member

As said above, try searching Ebay for Greco, Burny, Tokai, Orville, Edwards, and Bacchus. Juniors come up sometimes.

The Gibson Historics that are not Les Pauls can be had for good deals used. I have the single cut TV JR and it's terrific.

14. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

I would have to recommend a Godin LG. I just bought one of the p90 models and this is a smokin guitar for $500.00. I play this more than my PRS Santana. Top quality gig bag with it. Here's a link:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinlgp.htm

sK

15. SFW

SFW Member

PRS Soapbar II ?

16. Luke V

Luke V Member

Someone has an lp jr knockoff on the emporium for cheap, not sure if thats what your looking for. I got one of the MF lp jrs and it is exactly what I expected. It kicks ass. One trick pony but what a trick.

17. sears

sears Member

The single-piece bridge is as important to the feel as the single pickup is to the tone. A used Historic is roughly the same cost as a used Hamer Junior. The Historic single cutaway has a huge neck.

You could always get the special and remove the neck pickup..

The MF junior, which I'm assuming is the "production" Gibson Junior they made until a couple of years ago, is a great guitar. Its neck is the 60s slim taper. I was patient and got a good price on a used historic instead but there's little functional difference. The neck joint is different in juniors so the short/long tenon standard/historic argument doesn't transfer.

18. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

If you don't need a nitro finish or a one-piece body I'd suggest a Tokai TJ60 or 65 double cut LP Jr. copy. I bought one last winter and I just love it!

The P90 in mine was a little weak so I ended up replacing it with one from Jason Lollar and couldn't be happier. Although recently, for giggles, I wound some more 42 ga. wire on the Tokai P90 to bring up the output and it sounds good now, too.

Mine was made for the North American market so it has the bump in the middle of the moustache headstock. If you get one from Japan it won't have that.

[​IMG]

Mine has a three-piece body and a rather thin poly finish. Sure it doesn't feel as "warm" as nitro but I'm used to it.
    [​IMG]

I added a Wilkinson wraparound with adjustable B/G ridge for better intonation. And an old Grand Funk sticker for mojo. :D

[​IMG]
    I got mine from a place here in Canada - if you like PM me and I'll give you the contact info - he may have another.

Oh, and I agree with an earlier poster - if you want a Junior it has to have a wraparound tailpiece!

Take care,

Jim

19. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

If you go to wolfeguitars.com I think Jay has some new Heritage Juniors, not so sure about specials with dog ear Lollars. Price is not too bad as I recall. Nice looking guitars. Jay gets some of Heritage's best work.

20. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I've really become fond of the P90 sound & have been GAS'ing for something with them in it lately. I just checked out that Heritage H137 and it sounds like a killer piece. A pair of Lollar dogear P90's, hand built, and some tasty colors. Plus I'm sure the price is reasonable as well. Anybody know roughly how much they're going for? I'd hate to buy a new one as Heritage values seem to drop like a stone in the used market. So it would probably be a helluva deal used.