Les Paul Junior

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by peachfuzz, Feb 15, 2009.

1. peachfuzz

peachfuzz Member

Hello all. Long time lurker. First time poster. I play a 57 VOS Jr and was searching around for a second Jr as a backup. I'm British and found one in Andertons for £399. At first I did a doubletake because I've never seen a new one that cheap but I checked the specs and they're all good. It does have a satin finish, however. Can anyone hazard a guess as to why they might be going so cheap as the Gibson site has them up at $1200 or thereabouts. Any comments/advice gratefully received. Hope you're all well!

2. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

Maybe Andertons forgot to put a "1" in front of the 399. Otherwise, I have no idea. If you've checked the specs and they're all good, then it can't be the new Junior reissue that was just reintroduced. It's like the Musicians FRiend Junior from a few years back.

3. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Gibson has finally released a matte finish LP Junior that lists at $1200. USA street price is $720, but you might do better from certain dealers. They'll certainly be up on Ebay before you know it. I would grab one for $600 or so. I played one at Sam Ash; nice guitar, nothing to rave about. Solid and workmanlike, but unspectacular. The workmanship was adequate, not great. Probably a great slide guitar in the making.

4. peachfuzz

peachfuzz Member

Thanks both. I already ordered one at £399 reasoning that I could probably move it on at that price locally if I don't get on with it. Although I notice that the Andertons price has now risen to £549.

5. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

I just checked Anderton's website. They are out of stock and no ETA for new ones. It is indeed that new Junior, not the historic 57 VOS Jr. The specs are somewhat different such as 2 piece body, straight versus slanted wraptail, and the neck pocket not having wood on both sides of the neck..

Even so, if you snagged one of the new ones at 399 pounds, that's an outstanding price. That's about 570 dollars. You can't even buy one here in the States for that. Even at 549 pounds, that's comparable to what you can get one out the door here. Usually, they are higher where you are given import fees, trip across the pond, etc.

6. peachfuzz

peachfuzz Member

Cheers for looking into it, man! And yes, I did indeed snag one for 399 and they've confirmed in writing that the price will hold. According to Andertons it's a one-piece. These are the specs pasted from their site:

Angled Headstock
    Adjustable Truss Rod
    Gibson’s Traditional Rounded Neck Profile
    22-Fret Rosewood and Ebony Fingerboard
    Nickel and Silver Alloy Fret Wire
    Classic Dot Inlays
    One-piece, Solid Mahogany Body and Set-Neck Construction
    Gibson’s Legendary P-90 Pickup
    Vintage-style Wraparound Bridge/Tailpiece
    Nitrocellulose Finish

They're giving a 1-3 month delivery time from Gibson. For that money I'll wait...

Thanks again for taking the time!