• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Les Paul Lemon burst -why so expensive?

C-4

I bought a brand new 60th Anny CS R9 lemon fade with a great top, great weight, et. al., and paid less then $5,400 from Breaze Guitars.

I saw the same guitars on all the other usual suspect's websites and the price was not even close.

The color should not dictate the price, since Gibson offers so many colors for their historic series.

Silver Supporting Member
When I was shopping for a used R9 at this time last year, I recall the lemon bursts being priced higher, which was specifically what I was looking for. I couldn't find one below $4K. All the listings below that number were variations of cherry bursts.
I just picked up a 2016 True Historic 1960 Reissue with a nicely flamed lemon burst top for $4200. I had been shopping for it off and on for about three years. I already owned and loved my #1 which is 2014 Historic 1960 Reissue VOS cherry burst.

My criteria was...
1) True Historic
2) 1960 reissue spec
3) Ribbon-y flamed lemon burst without any chevron
4) Modest wear equal to what I'd give it anyone by playing it often
5) $4000 or less
6) Don't get burned with a Chibson

Excellent lemon burst tops at that price point are simply far and few between. I knew I'd have to find it online as there was a nearly zero percent chance I'd ever see one on the wall at a guitar shop in Phoenix. I could've picked one up more readily if I was willing to pay closer to $6000. I was really dead set for a long time to get what I wanted for less than $4000 but I gave in and ponied up the extra $200 to end the quest.

Rc7321

Yes, and so are these.

A Les Paul replica of a Les Paul replica ? Gibson marketing, how does that work lol.
Funny Gibson litigates any company into the stratosphere that makes a Les Paul copy & here they are making a copy. Can't have it both ways.
Must be some good drugs going on inside Gibson sales & marketing.
FWIW every Gibson attempt at the AFD Derrig guitar doesn't look anything like it to me.
Kinda sorta but not really.

Last edited:

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Maybe it's just me, but I find the lemon bursts to be unattractive. I want some red in there. Yellow is my least favorite color of the spectrum, so it's no wonder. I do like TV Yellow on Specials and Juniors though, but a Burst needs red.

27sauce

A Les Paul replica of a Les Paul replica ? Gibson marketing, how does that work lol.
Funny Gibson litigates any company into the stratosphere that makes a Les Paul copy & here they are making a copy. Can't have it both ways.
Must be some good drugs going on inside Gibson sales & marketing.
FWIW every Gibson attempt at the AFD Derrig guitar doesn't look anything like it to me.
Kinda sorta but not really.
We all know the story.

Gibson can have it both ways when the copy they are copying uses nothing but Gibson IP. There is nothing unique to Derrig in that guitar.

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe it's just me, but I find the lemon bursts to be unattractive. I want some red in there. Yellow is my least favorite color of the spectrum, so it's no wonder. I do like TV Yellow on Specials and Juniors though, but a Burst needs red.
This.

Lemon tops are kinda boring...

IanRubbish

I got this 2001 LP Classic Premium Plus in Transparent Amber about 4 years ago for $1500. Of course, the price on these is jumping a lot recently. While not quite the same as lemonburst and not an historic, it’s one hell of a looker and player:

View attachment 301340
I picked up a 2000 Classic Premium Plus last year, great guitar. I had heard they were some good years but never tried one. Couldn't leave the shop without it.

Bankston

I just picked up a 2016 True Historic 1960 Reissue with a nicely flamed lemon burst top for $4200. I had been shopping for it off and on for about three years. I already owned and loved my #1 which is 2014 Historic 1960 Reissue VOS cherry burst.

My criteria was...
1) True Historic
2) 1960 reissue spec
5) $4000 or less

Excellent lemon burst tops at that price point are simply far and few between. I knew I'd have to find it online as there was a nearly zero percent chance I'd ever see one on the wall at a guitar shop in Phoenix. I could've picked one up more readily if I was willing to pay closer to $6000. I was really dead set for a long time to get what I wanted for less than $4000 but I gave in and ponied up the extra $200 to end the quest.

Congrats on finding the right guitar for you. Patience pays off. Total driveout for me on my 2012 R9 was $4,500, including tax and shipping and that was the least expensive one I found. Price point was the primary selling point for me because I was confident it would be a great LP and it is.

Silver Supporting Member
This.

Lemon tops are kinda boring...
It's a good thing Gibson offers different finishes. Cherry burst, lemon burst, tobacco burst, gold tops, black beauties, et cetera. It's great that guitar players can choose whatever finish they like best if that's important to them.

ivandolz

My criteria was...
1) True Historic
2) 1960 reissue spec
5) $4000 or less

Show us the pictures!!!! Congrats.

C-4

I've had every color of a Les Paul I ever desired, but for lemon fade, so this time I opted for one.

It is plainer without the extra coloring, but it has an old look to it, even for a new, non-relic'd version, to me anyway.

I understand that it is not for everyone, but for those who like it, it's different, and unique looking compared to all the sunbursted LP's out there.

Rc7321

Maybe Gibson would sell more guitars people actually want if they'd exit the Slash-train to AFD-ville. Its been what 35 years ?

NAME

This is the only lemonburst les paul I want.

I'd make a huge exception for Greenie.
When I was getting ready to move up a CS Les Paul Reissue, I was sure I wanted to go all the way and get an R9 in a period correct sunburst finish. I eventually settled on a R8 that Greg Koch raved about in a Wildwood video. The fact that Greenie was in the news a lot via Kirk Hammett convinced me that if the most famous Les Paul in the world has a (somewhat) “Lemonburst” finish, it is historically accurate. I am quiet happy with my lowly, faded R8.
89053_lg4.jpg

Tim Plains

I bought a brand new 60th Anny CS R9 lemon fade with a great top, great weight, et. al., and paid less then $5,400 from Breaze Guitars.

I saw the same guitars on all the other usual suspect's websites and the price was not even close.
Hunter is not an authorized Gibson dealer. You technically bought a used / unplayed guitar with no warranty.

Trending Topics