Les Paul Lite

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skintknuckle, Mar 14, 2008.

1. skintknuckle

skintknuckle Supporting Member

Anybody have one? Do you like it?

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I hope this thread stays civil.

I never heard of a Les Paul Lite. Are you talking about this guitar?:

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/LesPaul/StudioLite.html

This "Chromyte center block" concerns me, because people are saying that that's basically balsa wood, but I like the lighter Les Paul idea. I wonder how much of the core of this guitar is "Chromyte".

3. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Les filling. Tastes great.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Assuming you mean a Les Paul Studio Lite, I had one. I liked it. Beautiful guitar. Sold it when I bought a Historic '57 Goldtop.
    [​IMG]

4. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

Do you mean the Les Paul Custom Lite they produced from 1987 - 1990? That's about half the depth of a regular Custom, solid mahogany body, with a maple cap?

If so, then that's what im running as my gigging #1. I like it a LOT! The neck scale is closer to the PRS 22 fret scale (cant remember measurements off my head) than the usual Les Paul scale. With gain cranked all the way up, i cant really tell much difference between the Lite and a Standard, it's certainly got a lot more guts to it than the SG.

Clean, it's closer to the SG mark - quite punchy, not too muddy - really nice bite when you hit the edge of breaking up.

5. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH Member

Chromyte is Balsa. Balsa by the way is a really good tone wood & not so cheap as one would think. Gibson has done some research with it & has even made whole guitars out of it . Some for Billy Gibbons & Joe Perry for that matter. Imagine a 4 1/2 lb LP !! The problem is it is really rare in large sizes & it quite costly ( more so than regular production wood) I have a 7 string signature Model LP being made in Korina that will have a large Balsa filler under its Flame/quilt top & will let you know of the results :p

6. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

The Les Paul Studio Lite is a great guitar. My bro has one exactly like the one in the picture above, except the gold hardware is now completely worn, and it has Duncan Alnico II pro pups in it. It is the meatiest sounding guitar I have ever heard in my entire life. And it won't break your back to boot.

7. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

That's odd. I didn't know Balsa was expensive. Or rare in large pieces.

I think a 4-1/2Lb. Les Paul would be a bit neck heavy.
    7Lbs. would probably balance OK.

I'd love to hear how yours comes out.

8. southpawmax

southpawmax Member

I have a book on the history of the Les Paul and it says that they are made with balsa which is expensive, rare in big chunks, and sounds very rich. Who knew that the same wood I use for tech ed could make a good guitar?

9. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH Member

Funny thing is if i didn't tell you the balsa inside the cavities looks just like korina same graining:crazyguyI was lucky enough to get 3 pieces big enough to make a body blank

10. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH Member

I believe the 4 1/2 lb LP had a balsa neck as well.I am hoping mine will be in the 5- 6lb range . Think my full body blanks the balsa was like 4lbs & the korina blank was 9 lbs ( usually a blank once worked is about half it's weight. of course i will be combining mine)

11. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

I'm on my second Studio Lite. Had a red one with black hardware in the mid-90s and sold it. Missed it...so when another came available to me I grabbed it. This one is tobacco sunburst. I like 'em. Good enough to scratch my LP itch...and for less than a grand to boot.

12. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

BTW....the chromyte was also used as a center block on Gibson's Howard Roberts Fusion II...another guitar that I miss wildly...

13. LVC

LVC Senior Member

What is the difference between the custom Lite and the Studio Lite?