Les Paul, middle position - how do you control the volume?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Traps, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Traps

Traps Member

Hi there, my BFG and '57 Historic BB Custom have the same issue - middle position, hard to control volume swells.. is there a way around this?

thanks , in advance.

2. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

I use an Ernie Ball Volume Pedal to get around it. You could also wire it so it has a master volume knob instead of separate knobs.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for a volume pedal. I have the same problem with my 175, and when I feel the need to control that middle position, a volume pedal greatly simplifies things.

4. Traps

Traps Member

Understood - thanks.

5. bigroy

bigroy Member

Learning the middle position on an LP is part of basic training. I think you can google an article by LeRoy Pernell and others on getting the middle position to work for you. And with you....

A lot goes on with a bit of a twist of either a volume or tone knob.

6. 205

205 Senior Member

One of the things that i've never liked about Les Pauls especially when you're a big middle position user. I usually rewire for a master volume configuration.
    Deaf eddie has some very handy 'master volume' wiring layouts here:
    http://www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/drawings.html

7. hogy

hogy Member

There is a myriad of shades to be had by blending the pickups at different levels in the middle position - all of which are lost with a master volume. Very bad idea.

To roll down the volume without affecting the mix, learn to use the edge of your hand to roll off both volumes simultaneously and evenly. Not hard to do at all.

8. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Great thread.

Just got my first LP a few months ago. Was always a Fender player heretofore. Very interesting to hear about those many shades of tone available from the middle position. I am just getting to notice this as I play the instrument more.

So am all ears for folks with experience. My LP is great fun to play. I love it. Love my Teles and Strats, too. But the LP is definitely a very different volume and tone setup.

9. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

A volume pedal's a really good idea. I've just gotten used to turning both volumes up or down really fast, using the numbers on the knobs as a reference(7 for rhythm, 10 for leads). I use the both-pickups-on setting a lot on my Lester.

10. 205

205 Senior Member

It may suit you but it doesn't suit a lot of other people.:)
    For myself a master volume is a great idea.
    Anyway, there is a wiring diagram at deaf eddies site which still retains both seperate volumes for each pickup but uses one of the tones as a master volume.