Les Paul neck-profile timeline

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GibsonLives, Jan 24, 2012.

1. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

Despite my TGP username, I don't know all that much about Les Pauls; I've only ever owned one, a 1979 25/50 Anniversary model with a really nice neck which felt C-shaped, if I remember correctly, and definitely thinner than the '50s profile, but certainly not a SlimTaper type. One of the best LP necks I ever played was a friend's early-'90s Classic-60 (forerunner to the Classic model, apparently), and that one was SlimTaper. Anyway, although I'm primarily a Strat guy, I'm currently in the market for an LP Custom, and I was thinking about picking up something from the '70s or '80s, mainly because they're cheaper for the most part than a new Custom ($4000? I don't think so!), and will likely hold their resale value better should I need to dump it at some point for luxuries like food and rent (which is the only reason I got rid of the Anniversary model). Can someone "in the know" tell me if '70s LP Customs have generally fat '50s necks or are sometimes closer to the thinner C I remember from my 25/50, or do I need to look at more current models, say '80s or even '90s, if I want something that doesn't feel like a baseball bat? Ideally, I'd love a SlimTaper '60s profile neck, but I'm not sure when they started doing Customs that way, and like I said, a new Custom is just beyond me financially. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Steve

2. cherrick

cherrick Member

This is so easy ... Given your criteria, gat a Les Paul Classic (so-called 60 reissue).

Cheap.

Learn to live with the garish, green-tint fretboard inlays or get a good luthier to do the simple replacement wit one of the easily available kits. Consider swapping out the wiring harness and the humbuckers. Voila, just what you want.

3. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

Cherrick, yeah, except for the ebony board lol I really don't care much for the feel of rosewood.
    Steve

4. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

Cmon, Gibson guys, I know you're out there. Help a TGP brother out, what do you say? :)
    Steve

5. mslmg

mslmg Member

For reference, I recently sold a '74 LP Custom with the slim taper '60s profile. I currently have a '95 LP Special that has a neck profile between a slim taper and a '50's fat

6. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

Thanks, mslmg. As I stated, I've always been a Strat guy, and don't know a hell of a lot about LPs, except for the one I owned...and there was NOTHING typical about that guitar! A SlimTaper is what I'd most be interested in, along with getting something which is a bit less than - and with a greater potential of someday getting at least as much back from it as I paid into it should I ever sell it - a new LP. Knowing that they definitely did thin necks during this period (as opposed to Fender, who made croquet mallet necks throughout most of the '70s) is a definite plus. thanks again...anyone with more info., please buzz in; I would genuinely appreciate any knowledge I can get.
    Steve