Les Paul Neck

DSJr

About 20 years ago I bought a Zakk Wylde Gibson LP. I don't play it much anymore b/c it's becoming somewhat of a collection piece for me, however that neck and fretboard are magical. I'm always trading and swapping around my other guitars in search for something similar and I was wondering what recommendations anyone might have.

It doesn't have to be a Gibson, or even the same materials (necessarily) but something with a similar feel, radius, etc.

Gibson no longer lists the specs of the guitar so I don't even know what I might be looking for, if I'm honest. Just reaching out to the community for ideas.

Thanks, all!

murkat

I like sea otters
Silver Supporting Member
Once you have a good Les Paul for you, it is tough to compare.
The ZW LPC is Zakk's specs.
If you love playing it, You should enjoy it fully.
And why not, no need to have it become a case Queen.

DSJr

Once you have a good Les Paul for you, it is tough to compare.
The ZW LPC is Zakk's specs.
If you love playing it, You should enjoy it fully.
And why not, no need to have it become a case Queen.
If I'm honest, and damn I'm gonna sound old, but the back just struggles to bear that load, 3 hours at a time, 4 times a week. Lol.
I was really hoping to find a lighter weight axe with a similarly tasty neck

filtersweep

If I'm honest, and damn I'm gonna sound old, but the back just struggles to bear that load, 3 hours at a time, 4 times a week. Lol.
I was really hoping to find a lighter weight axe with a similarly tasty neck
I run a Custom Lite- it is simply a killer deal. Not sure if the neck is to your liking. I paid under a grand - for all the Custom bling, minus an ebony board. Neck is a 'rounded 50s' which is unlike anything else I own.

DSJr

I run a Custom Lite- it is simply a killer deal. Not sure if the neck is to your liking. I paid under a grand - for all the Custom bling, minus an ebony board. Neck is a 'rounded 50s' which is unlike anything else I own.
I'm gonna have to take a look at that, I'm really hunting.

OiRogers

I would second that suggestion. Looked at one a year or so ago with a repaired headstock break.
I passed as the repair was kinda wonky.... but everything else was nice.

I've been half looking for one ever since.

DSJr

It's not my guitar! Bring yours over... I've got a router and I'll pull up pictures of the modern weight relief. I'll hook you up. Cheap.
Where you located, man, I'd be down to try this.....unless you're pulling my chain, then you're just toying with my heart! Lol

Last edited:

murkat

I like sea otters
Silver Supporting Member
and damn I'm gonna sound old
Oh I hear ya. lifting my 10lb les paul is a pita. And I am probably in your age bracket.
But, Cindi @ itailan straps has a 4" wide leather strap that makes them nearly tolerable ;)

OiRogers

Where you located, man, I'd be down to try this.....unless you're pulling my chain, then you're just toying with my heart! Lol
I'm afraid that I am indeed toying with your heart and not your chain.:eek:

You could come play my 1976 LP Deluxe for a while though... at 10lb 13oz on a new scale (it lost weight!!!) it'll give you a new appreciation for your LP Custom as a feather.;)

DSJr

These look fantastic! Reverb has a few for about 1500.

jvin248

...that neck and fretboard are magical. I'm always trading and swapping around my other guitars in search for ... something with a similar feel, radius, etc. Gibson no longer lists the specs of the guitar so I don't even know what I might be looking for,...

I found a couple of references, not sure which applies to yours as they made a few different models and this might help your future search.

Gibson: "The Zakk Wylde Les Paul BFG is fitted with Gibson’s more traditional ’50s neck profile, which is a round, meaty profile that emulates the neck shapes of the iconic 1958 and 1959 Les Paul Standards"

Gibson: "Fifties maple neck in natural satin" Vertigo model

Gibson: "The neck shape is a bit thicker than a standard neck and has more of a D shape. The fingerboard is ebony with Dunlop 6100 extra jumbo fret wire." Bullseye model

Epiphone: "Hard maple SlimTaper™ “C” Profile, Satin Finish" ZW LP model

I have found when comparing most neck carves that two necks can have the same width and depth but the 'shoulders' of the carve can be a lot different, or where the carve starts from such as the front edge of the fretboard (common on Squier Strats if you compare to Fender Strats) or behind the fretboard glue-line. All that 'shoulder' wood makes an important factor in neck selection and the closest anyone describes that is "C" or "D" or whatnot.

If you want to get some weight savings, check out the Epiphone Specials. The necks will be slightly smaller but you'll get a big weight savings (but there are different plants making them with different body woods). I have a Special Junior that gets a lot of play time. I put a custom humbucker in it that I split with a push/pull and upgraded pots. Feels like fly weight after playing a regular LP. A PRS SE 245 Singlecut might offer some weight relief.

DSJr

@jvin248 I have the original bullseye, so I'm guessing it would be the D shape. Thank you for the find!

Now what guitars have a similar neck? o_O

@sibyrpunk he did, I own an Odin, which I love. I plan to replace the pups though, as they don't sing quite as much as they do on the les paul.

Last edited:

58flame

I played the prototype of that guitar (he was Jeff's tech) and I thought it was really nice. I'd just play it. It's not worth crazy monsy, so who cares if it plays awesomely?

DSJr

I played the prototype of that guitar (he was Jeff's tech) and I thought it was really nice. I'd just play it. It's not worth crazy monsy, so who cares if it plays awesomely?
The Odin? Yea it plays well, sounds really nice, too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom