Les Paul or Tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Burnzy378, May 12, 2019.

1. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Supporting Member

The whole purpose of a tele is that it DOESN'T cost $3500 to buy one. It's such a simple design. i've owned many different brands and can confidently say a well set up tele with good pickups will give you what you need. Buy a used American Standard and put a set of Fralins in it and I can't imagine you won't be happy.

C-4, Burnzy378, monty and 1 other person like this.
  2. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I played a LP in the 70s. Never again, lol. But I do love a 335 (which I gig with) so I'll use that to compare.

When I gig the 335, it has to be a gig where that is specifically the sound I am going for. More OD stuff, clean stuff would be more "jazzy" tone. Well, maybe not jazzy, but not as twangy as a tele. I love playing it. When I want that sound, it is very satisfying to play it. However, it is NOT my go to guitar.
    When I am playing more clean stuff, blues or country, I am going to go strat or tele. Both do OD exceedingly well, also, just a little different sound than buckers. I have been doing more on the tele as of late, because it works for the band I am in. I did a gig with the drummers husband a couple months ago, acoustic, fiddle and me. I took the strat.

So, it really depends on the application. If you want the sound of a LP, you are really not going to get it from another guitar. If you want the twang of a tele, you really aren't going to get it from a LP. You can sometimes get close, but if you've played both you can hear the difference.

Actually, my go to is a strat. If I get a call and am not sure exactly what I'll be playing - strat. If I know, then I pick the guitar best for the situation. Just a note - I had to fly in my old home town, old band mate from 40 years ago had me come over (he has my little brother on guitar as well) and play, and I took the tele on this one. Clean countryish stuff, southern rock kind of stuff, blues rock kind of stuff. Tele did great. I may be going out to a blues jam tonight. Tele. I know last time I went I saw teles. And Strats, And LP.

I think a tele is more versitile. I think on a LP is going to sound like a LP. You make your choices ...

3. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

You know that any Gibson is just a short trip away from a skilled tech to tuning stability, right? Gibson is nearly famous for needing their nuts recut so that they're stable.

Burnzy378 and HERSCHEL like this.
  4. Tom Fontaine

Tom Fontaine Member

My tele was my first quality guitar. I very soon bought a used les Paul. I have had that tele stolen, lost by an airline, fall out the window, lay in the corner of my apartment under piles of junk. Used abused, and mistreated, it still sounds fantastic, plays even better than ever, and stays in tune. I will never get rid of that guitar.

I sold the lea Paul. I bought an upright bass with the money. I regret selling it sometimes, but not enough to actively pursue another.

That said, I’m on a serious explorer kick right now, shockingly comfortable guitar to play, and has some amazing and unique tones.

Burnzy378 likes this.
  5. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

I hear you loud and clear, thank you for making me aware of this lol.

The issue is why should I or anyone drop $2500+ and then have to bring it to a tech to a tech to fix a brand new purchase? I’ve never done that with a car, a piece of server equipment (I run a few) so why does this rule apply to Gibson?

Please explain that to me.

CapnRex and mikefair like this.
  6. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

A Les Paul doesn’t cost $3500 either. A custom shop does. But so does a custom shop telecaster.

7. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

It applies to a lot of Fenders as well. Having to shim a fender is about as common as having to recut a nut on a Gibson.

CapnRex and HERSCHEL like this.
  8. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

It applies to any guitar from any manufacturer to be honest for lots of reasons and it's more noticeable after changing strings from the factory ones to any other brand or gauge.

Do you not adjust the server by setting it up for your specific needs (software wise anyway) or do you just plug everything in and hope for the best? No, you, as a professional, spend some amount of time prepping and tweaking before taking it online so that it is optimized for use.

Did you just get into your car and drive it off the dealer lot without adjusting anything? Were all the seats, mirrors, steering wheel angle and everything else all perfectly set in place for you from the factory or did you adjust something? I assume you did not need to pay some to do that for you. If you had the skillset of a luthier, you would no more need someone to set up your guitar than to adjust your car seat.

So... both your car and your servers did need some care applied to them so that they were set up for your specific needs and your preferences and both cost more than your Gibsons did. You can dismount your whiny high horse, it's tired and needs some rest.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  9. tymj2112

tymj2112 Member

Both.

Don't worry, be happy!

Burnzy378 likes this.
  10. gigs

gigs Member

telecaster

jpervin and Burnzy378 like this.
  11. telejammer

telejammer Member

I own a Les Paul Standard 2013 and a American Pro Tele and must say that these new tele's just play and sound fantastic. I also have an American Standard Tele and the Am Pro is so much better in too many ways to get into. Do yourself justice and go play some of the new Fender American Tele"s and see for yourself how good they are.

12. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

If you can, get a great Gibson Les Paul. It doesn't get better than that.

modavis99 and Burnzy378 like this.
  13. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Telecasters fit what I like to play better than LPs and it seems that I can find necks that are comfortable more easily on teles than on LPs. Both of these criteria are personal taste so they might be totally the opposite experience for the OP. I currently own four teles and four ES-XXX Gibsons, just no LPs. I keep trying them though, just in case I find the "right one".

14. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Of the 2, Tele.

Burnzy378 likes this.
  15. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

I've owned several of each and both can be great guitars. Some have been real winners, others have been "meh". It's rare when a guitar is manufactured so it is consistently brilliant, so you'll want to hunt for the gem (as opposed to hoping that you luck in to one).

If I were you, I would try out a lot of guitars (teles and lps) and then choose the best guitar you can afford. Tele or LP, a good one will be a joy to play.

Then hope that somewhere down the line, you'll get an opportunity to pick up the one you weren't able to purchase.

16. WordMan

WordMan Member

Good luck.

In my experience, a Tele can fake a Les Paul better than a Les Paul can fake a Tele. Do with that what you will.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  17. monty

monty Member

Hmmm, so a wife, Tele, LP pick 2 situation eh? I'd go wife/Tele with a mistress LP hidden away somewhere, lol.

Burnzy378 likes this.
  18. Burnzy378

Burnzy378 Member

i know right. They have the olympic white with mint green pick guard pro tele. Shockingly good off the shelf.

19. Burnzy378

Burnzy378 Member

Very true, this is what started me on the tele vs les paul thing. I think jimmy page used teles to record and les pauls to play live.

20. Burnzy378

Burnzy378 Member

Yep, thats why i am going to keep searching as i know they are out there.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.