Les Paul owners and alike... Is THIS a good deal??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mstre, Aug 8, 2008.

1. mstre

mstre Member

A Gibson LP custom under 2k? Should I be weary of previous work on the neck or something else? Was 1992 a bad year for LPs?
    Any input would be appreciated; I'm getting ready to purchase my first high end guitar and I was hoping this might be it.
    Thanks

http://rochester.craigslist.org/msg/782292313.html

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Looks like a nice guitar at a reasonable price. Go play it and find out if it's a good one. Can't tell from the pics if there was a neck break. That would certainly be a deal breaker for me.

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

:agree looks a lot like my 85 custom,

4. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

That's a production model, not a custom shop or historic. It could very well be a killer guitar. The price is OK, not great depending what you're looking for. If you have your heart set on a custom then go for it but, for similar cash you could get a R7 goldtop historic.

5. mstre

mstre Member

I'm not dead set on a custom; originally I was planning on getting a new Standard or Classic, but I've been reading mixed reviews about Gibson's production quality. I'll definitely have to try this one out.

6. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

7. crifasta

crifasta Gold Supporting Member

I've seen great deals here on TGP in that price range and slightly above for superior guitars IMO. Go for a reissue if you can. There's a goldtop R7 for 2K on here that's been haunting me for weeks. :drool

8. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

LP customs are different from the standard and classics, the fretboard is ebony and the pups are voiced to sound like a horn, its not the classic standard tone that you maybe expecting, the ebony fretboard is very punchy, where as the rosewood is mellow, so it your expecting a standard with gold pups its probably not what you want, the LP Custom is a great Jazz guitar, and sounds like a horn with the punchy tone, the pups need to be changed to make it a great blues guitar, or that has been my experience with my 85 custom.

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

That thing is GORGEOUS! Love the wiggle. Love the dish. Original owner. Looks super clean. I say you're crazy if you don't at least check it out in person. If I were in the market the only thing that would keep me away would be if it were over 10 pounds or those neck scuffs turned out to be worse than they sound.
    GO GET IT!

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

There are mixed reviews about Gibsons production quality for as long as Gibson has been around. They're one of the big players and expensive. Because of this, there are always people lined up to slam the quality of their instruments.

I don't know that their quality was any different in '92 than it is today. I think they're making some great instruments nowadays, so I wouldn't let the negative comments persuade you too much. Check some out and come to your own conclusion.

I do agree with others, though. Getting a used Custom Shop Reissue is the way to go if you're in the $2k range.

11. mstre

mstre Member

Thanks for all the comments. I will try to check this one out, some new ones and some TGP posts as well. I can probably do $2k but I definitely wouldn't mind doing less. All I really want is something that can do metal; I was pretty happy with my Epi LP with seymour duncans but now I'm ready for a real instrument. Any specific models I should aim for?

12. frank62

frank62 Member

You can't go wrong with that Custom.

13. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I have a number of Gibsons throughout the 90's
    I love them all. I think they all play well.

some, no doubt are dogs. also, could depend on how it's been taken care of these last 16 years.

14. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

What he said.

15. radiomatts

radiomatts Member

HEY..>FYI. This guy MIGHT be one selling the exact same thing in Chicago on Craigslist here. I met him, if it's the same guy, and it turned out to be a piece of Chinese crap. Good copy though with a real Gibson truss rod cover. Be very careful.

16. mstre

mstre Member

Damn...
    How can you tell if its a crappy copy? Is it something straight forward like it doesn't have the serial number on the back of the headstock or doesn't say Made in the USA?

17. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Unfortunately those things are something they managed to do on most of the fakes, although some had 8 digit serial numbers indicating a build year of 1952 which is impossible as the 8 digit system only came in 1977.

You need to check the neck binding to see if it has the small nibs that meet the fret ends, and the fret board should be a very dark colour for an ebony board. If it has been re-fretted then the nibs may have been removed. The split diamond logo and Gibson logo will look crappy on the fakes - the shape of the lettering is not quite right and the pieces of the diamond logo are too close together. The main thing is that this guitar is 16 years old so it should look a bit used.

The photos in that listing looks pretty genuine but having a few more pics wouldn't hurt.