• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Les Paul P-90 swap Question

GuitaJama

Is it possible to take the humbuckers out of my Les Paul and replace them with P-90s and any advice as to how? The guitar in question is an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra.

carnivore

Yes it is possible to replace your humbuckers with (humbucker sized) P-90's. With zero modification to the guitar body. Original P-90's are a different size than a standard humbucker.There is a bunch of material on this site and on the internet regarding this. Try googling P-90 sized humbuckers.

Many pickup manufacturers make such a replacment that will pop right in. Seymore Duncan fatcats for one.

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
Seymour Duncan Phat Cats will drop right in. Chrome or Gold covers.

GFS (guitar fetish) makes them too, with more cover options, at a cheaper price.

Rio grande makes them as well.

curtis

the dude from Muse uses the Bareknuckle Mississippi Queens - they're a P90 in a HB size.

pretty nice tone...tempted to get some myself....

cheers,
steve

socalscott

For those HB users finding themselves leaning towards SC tones. I suggest a HB mod. You can still have the shredding leads, but in the P90 zone.

I took a set of SD Jazz/JB pups into the P90 zone. There's jangle and howl in spades. I have 2 P90 gits to compare to and I always grab this git over the 90's. I use an low-watt Gilmore Jr. tube amp that I swear is made for testing pups. The results are quite good. Fralin offers this type of HB and it gets excellent reviews.
One coil has 3 poles for wound strings and the other coil has 3 poles for plain strings. Think Fender Tele Custom pups or Fralin P92.

The tones available are glorious. I use a treble bleeder cap on the vol pot. Really allows low vol. setting(3) for spankin' SC tones and prolly counters some of the hum canceling losses.

Looks like this:

000XXX
XXX000

X=removed poles.

True they aren't as honky as 90's, but the 16k wind of the JB will push so hard that you can cover HB shred, yet roll off for bright, clear twang. The bass range and clarity is improved on both pups.

Trending Topics