• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Les Paul Pick Guards

Pick guard?

• Yes

Votes: 117 66.9%
  • No

Votes: 58 33.1%

• Total voters

RRfireblade

I play it like this, if it didn't come with one it ain't getting one, and if it's got one it's keeping it.

I don't like making holes and I don't like empty holes either.

Formerly posted as MkIIC+
Silver Supporting Member
It would seem the pick guards win by a 2-to-1 margin. Case closed.

Oinkus

Answer still has to be both regardless of what you might prefer. Really couldn't matter to me but I wouldn't remove one or add one to change a guitar from the way I got it.

Guitarworks

I do wish Gibson would stop pinching the pennies and at least put a decent looking 5 ply on the Studio.
Gibson isn't pinching pennies. They're trying to rake in more pennies. It's marketing. They're driving you to spend more money - whether it's on an aftermarket Gibson guard or on a LP Custom. Gibson's take on it: We don't do 'value-for-the-money' guitars, son. If you're gonna skimp on cash, then we're gonna skimp on features. You want it to come stock with a 5-ply guard? Then you need to step up and buy a LP Custom, cha-ching.

Flogger59

I wrap my pinky around the bridge pu ring. It'll wear through the finish in short order. Plastic is cheaper and tougher than nitro. PIckguard it is.

MantraSky

Silver Supporting Member
+1 on a PickGuard just to protect the nitro finish from pinky (anchoring) scraping.
Still I love the look of a beautiful Flame, poly is more durable but nitro is more authentic....

stomped box

aesthetically, pickguard all the way. that's the look.

but i never really connected with a les paul until i happened to take a pickguard off because the bracket was clicking on the top when i hit it.

i have accepted this about myself, and my new standard 50s p90, first thing, took the pickguard off.

must be the pulled screws let the cap resonate just so.

Motorhed

Going by looks, I can go either way. For playing, I think it's in the way but mine was already so beat up that the screw hole on the top doesn't bother me. I could see feeling differently about one in better shape, I might just have to make myself get used to it haha.

circumstances

I've never played one without, but some are beautiful without it.

I generally prefer the look, but as many have said, I wouldn't drill to add one, and wouldn't remove one and leave the holes.

What's the deal with pickguards that say "Gibson" on them?

Did they all come that way certain years/models and people switch them to blanks?

I would not like my pickguard to have a logo on it.

Is that weird?