Les Paul pickup selector switch questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Milhouse, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

I'm getting intermittent signal loss on neck and bridge pickups on my Epi LP Standard. Can anyone tell me how to access/clean the switch? Thanks.

2. giventofly

giventofly Member

Hey, the same thing happened to me and it was actually a loose connection on the pickup switch. The easiest way to take care of it is unscrew the plate behind the pickup switch and make sure everything is connected and there are no loose wires. You can also use some compressed air or spray some of that electronics cleaner sold at radio shack on it.

good luck

3. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

thanks, i'll try that first.

4. laflamme

laflamme Member

The switches in the epiphones are very cheap and doomed to failure. My suggestion is to buy a good quality switch online and have someone install it for you. If you can handle a soldering iron you should be able to easily remove and replace. They are extremely simple. If you clean it I promise the problem will come back and you don't want that kind of hassle on a gig!!!

5. has-sound

has-sound Member

I agree with laflamme. Those import enclosed switches don't last long. They are also impossible to get spray cleaner into. Best to invest in a quality Switchcraft switch.

-Stan