Les Paul pickups??? Moore and MCP content?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by papersoul, Feb 7, 2008.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey all!

I have been using a Motor City Torque in my one LP and love it. I am thinking of getting the MCP Afwayu or maybe something more vinateg like the Detroiter or one of the other PAF types. However, is there anything wrong with just using hotter pickups and rolling back the volume for vintagy tones? Doesn't have to be perfect. Either way, I like big and thick. His pickups respond very well with good pots/caps and 50s wiring.

Alternatively.....anyone try Jon Moore pickups? Specifically the Ultimate Rock set? Black Widow?

Thanks!

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Jon's a great guy. He wound me some pickups a couple years ago. They were great, very clear and articulate. I sold them with the guitar, '94 LP Studio.

www.tonefordays.com

3. gobuds

gobuds Member

I have Moore's in my LP - and like them a lot. Well priced compared to some of the other PAF-like pickups I looked at.

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I thought you were gonna talk about Scotty Moore's Guitars. Now thats a Vintage 50's sound.

Regards
    Groovey Records
    listening to Robert Gordon w/ Link Wray
    on Vinyl 4 real

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I've had Jon wind me three sets of P-90's and they are all great. I also have two sets of his single coils, but haven't installed them in a Strat yet. I have a Black Widow, but haven't used it - it's a really high output pickup. It's for sale in another thread.

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

So nobody has tried the Rock set or the Black Widow.