Les Paul Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cheesey, Jul 9, 2006.

1. cheesey

cheesey Member

just got an 81 LP standard , what pick ups were stock this year?
    is it a common thing to replace after a guitar is 25 years old . I'm not blown away by the sound , seem to lack clarity .

i use a 1974x 18watt and tweed super so nothing high gain just want a good 70's rock sound .
    my strat has fralins which i had replaced , are his humbuckers good also?
    any ideas?

2. razorsherpa

razorsherpa Member

I have a 77 LP Artisan (3 humbuckers) and never truly liked the pickups, despite some purists who thought replacing them was nonsense. I put SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and neck positions and a SD Phat Cat (nifty P-90 in a humbucker space) and fell back in love with the guitar.

Not sure how much that helps your instrument, except:
    -don't worry about staying stock instead of being happy
    -putting in nice aftermarket pickups makes a noticeable difference
    -SAVE THE OLD ONES THOUGH IF YOU EVER DECIDE TO SELL
    -Just because it's a humbucker slot, dosen't mean you can't put in a P-90.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have a 1979 Custom, which I believe had the same pickups as your Standard. I never liked them, they were very flat sounding. I always played with a lot of distortion, so I could get around it.

In 1984, I started pickup experiments. The first new one was a Bill Lawrence L500, which wasn't bad. It had a lot of clarity, and maybe just a little too much. I swapped it a few years later with a Duncan Distortion, and that was my main sound for many years. Now, I'm happy with the Duncan Custom 5 at the bridge, and the 59 in the neck.

4. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Try and have it setup properly before changing them. Try different string/pickup heights etc.

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Definitely save the old ones...save any component you replace on this guitar, should you decide to sell.

My fave Gibby Historic LP humbuckers are the Burstbuckers 1 and 2.
    If you can't have the old real PAF's (stoopid money for these, and they can suck too...depends on your luck), I think Gibson did the BB's up right. After them...probably a pair of Duncan Antiquities.

S.
    j

6. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Are the BB the same on standard and historics? I ask because i didn´t liked them at all on some standards, but on 58 and 59s i think they sound quite good. Somewher in Lester´s page it says historics have BB Pro pups, don´t know the difference if there´s any.
    Anyway, on historics i only like the BB2 on bridge, the BB1 on the neck is too muddy and dark IMO

7. DonP

DonP Member

Not at all. BB Pro's have Alnico V magnets, BB 1&2 have Alnico II magnets.

I totally love my R0 (BB1&2), I'm in a love/hate with my 2002 Std (BBPros).

8. AL30

AL30 Member

I have a 1980 Silverburst Custom. The pups are weak, weak, weak. They don't sound horrible but they don't jump out at me either. They're just... pickups. Not sure what kind though - T-tops? I also have a 1990 Custom LP and the difference in pickups - both tone and volume - is so drastic that I can't use the '80 for a back-up. It takes too much re-eq. The Silverburst won't push an amp at all - kinda rough when you play a lot of Fender amps.

I should have a set of HD Z90's here in a few weeks. I certainly hope this helps the problem. I hate leaving the Silverburst in the case.

AL

9. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I had a Gibson LP Heritage Std 80 back in the day, the 'Shaw' PAF pickups were OK but weren't doing a whole lot for me, so I stuck some Duncans in it which was an improvement. There weren't all these boutique pickup makers around back then.

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I had an 81 Standard for a long time. I didn't love the pickups, but I didn't hate the pickups. That guitar was virtually indestructable- 1 pc body, 3 piece top and 3 piece maple neck. It was pretty heavy, but it was a good sounding guitar. (although it's weight was one of the deciding factors in trading it) It had a first generation protector case... I really miss that. I had the guitar for 5-6 years and it was almost always my #1 or #2 guitar and it was my #1 recording guitar. Never felt the need to have to replace the pickups though.

11. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

How 'bout the BB3? I should have a ´96 Std coming my way with a BB3 in the bridge and a BB1 in the neck...

12. cheesey

cheesey Member

i want to try the Lollar Imperials , i dump major $$ in pedals so what the heck .
    thanks for the ideas

13. retrobob

retrobob Member

There are some really good PAF clone pickups that beat the pants off
    of the Gibson pickups. Duncan Antiquities, Duncan Seth Lover, JM Rolph,
    and Voodoo pickups among others. Dramatic difference in tone!

14. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'm a HUGE shaw pickup fan... if anyone has a set they want to sell please email me. Thanks!

15. SFW

SFW Member

I have a 74 Custom and a 2001 Classic. I left the 74 alone, as it sounds quite good. I have the Duncan JB/59 combo in my classic. The Bustbucker Pros sound good as well.

16. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Really surprised no one mentioned WCRs yet. I truly think Jim has figured-out where the mojo in the old pickups came from, and added tons of his own. I've got his Goodwoods in my PRS HBII and SRs in my Musicman, and if I still had a LP would be looking probably at his Darkbursts or new Peter Green set. Check out his site www.crcoils.com before making any decisions!-Eric

17. cheesey

cheesey Member

lots of good said about the wcr's
    those aged nickel lollar imperials too , played a gig last night , my strat w fralins was great but my lp sounded flat like a big fart.

18. RSRelic

RSRelic Member

Believe it or now the problem with your guitar is not the pickups, it's the 300k volumes and 100k tones used in it. They just choke the life out of those guitars. Change them out to good 500k audio taper pots and you will hear a different guitar.

19. cheesey

cheesey Member

thanks for the info , what is a good brand pot and dont say columbian:rolleyes:

20. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Cts.

(it's not allowing me to type C T S in capital letters...)