• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Les Paul Pickups

bertramladner

Silver Supporting Member
I see so many good players use les pauls. I have owned 2 different standards and sold them pretty quickly.

Now that I’m better at dialing in an amp/setup I’m thinking of trying one again. I’m curious if there is a consensus or what you would recommend as the pickup to get with the LP.

I see there are burstbuckers, 498 what should I be looking for?

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
Unpotted, lower wind, PAF style. There are other choices for all different types of music but that will get you the most mileage in my experience.

I’ve settled on the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Pearly Gates set, but Antiquities, Seths, or any number of similar options from other manufacturers (including Burstbuckers) are solid too. Keep in mind some BBs are hotter and wax potted so be sure what you’re getting.

I’m curious if there is a consensus or what you would recommend as the pickup to get with the LP?
There is no consensus.
You need to decide what type of sound you are looking for.
Also, certain models come with certain types of pickups so decide on the model and features, then consider pickups.
Pickups are the least expensive and easiest thing to change

The good news is,
I think they all sound great.

Last edited:

Tim Plains

Maybe buy the guitar first and then see if you don't like the pickups. Also, if both of those Standards were, say, chambered, don't buy another chambered Les Paul.

Wolfetone and WCR would be good winders to start. Throbak, Wizz, OX4 if you want to spend more money. But you should sort of know your general likes and dislikes. I prefer A2 magnets.

bertramladner

Silver Supporting Member
Unpotted, lower wind, PAF style. There are other choices for all different types of music but that will get you the most mileage in my experience.

I’ve settled on the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Pearly Gates set, but Antiquities, Seths, or any number of similar options from other manufacturers (including Burstbuckers) are solid too. Keep in mind some BBs are hotter and wax potted so be sure what you’re getting.
Thanks for the info. I’m just looking to choose between stock Gibson pups

David Garner

Thanks for the info. I’m just looking to choose between stock Gibson pups
That being the case, it's hard to beat a stock Burstbucker 1 in the neck and 2 in the bridge.

The 498t/490r set you find in a lot of older Standards, etc., is a good set, but it's a really hot bridge. Reminds me a lot of a JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck, even though the 490r has an A2 magnet instead of the 59's A5. Great for 80s metal and harder rock, but not as good for the sweet cleans and mid-gain tones.

What sort of music do you play?

EndGame00

Low output like a PAF or TTop..

I have three PAF-style PU, Duncan 59, Suhr Thornbucker, Suhr SSV’s,DiMarzio PAF Master.... I gravitate towards the PAF Master... It’s the lowest output of the four, but it’s the “more aggressive” sounding PAF I have ever played....

Duncan 59 Bridge emphasizes on treble and bass response, I wanted a little bit more midrange... Neck 59’s was slightly boomy for my liking

Had a brief honeymoon with the Thornbucker set.... I just find them lacking in “volume” compare to the three other PAF’s I own... The EQ is equally balanced and clarity is there, it’s just the output that I wasnt fond of...

SSV set are a little sweeter, smoother top end, slightly looser bottom end...It’s a lot more “vintage” sounding PAF clone...

DiMarzio PAF Master set is the one that’s right sounding for me...Tigher bottom, aggressive upper midrange, subtle top end, as loud as the Duncan 59...

DonP

7 LP's, 6 different types of pickups.

2 have BB1&2. And those two LP's sound completely different.

None of my LP's sound the same but I love the way they all sound.

I have a 77 Custom stock with T-Tops that sounds great, all the way up to a Classic w/ the 496R/500T high output set.

Last edited:

Danzego

You need to give more information, pure and simple. Not sure how anyone can recommend pickups without even knowing what you play.

What didn’t you like about those previous LP’s? Was it the pickups? What were they, if so? Also, most importantly, what kind of music do you play? Is there a particular tone you’re going for?

KevinD

I went a non traditional route and installed a set of Burstbucker 1non potted in both the neck (nickle cover) and bridge (double black) I took out the stock 490/498. I like mine a whole lot more now, but I'd admit, it would be for everyone. The bridge can be very bright, but thats what the tone knobs is for. Haha.
If I had it do do over with aftermarket pups, id probably go wolfetone or onamac.

bertramladner

Silver Supporting Member
That being the case, it's hard to beat a stock Burstbucker 1 in the neck and 2 in the bridge.

The 498t/490r set you find in a lot of older Standards, etc., is a good set, but it's a really hot bridge. Reminds me a lot of a JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck, even though the 490r has an A2 magnet instead of the 59's A5. Great for 80s metal and harder rock, but not as good for the sweet cleans and mid-gain tones.

What sort of music do you play?
I play anything but classical, ja
You need to give more information, pure and simple. Not sure how anyone can recommend pickups without even knowing what you play.

What didn’t you like about those previous LP’s? Was it the pickups? What were they, if so? Also, most importantly, what kind of music do you play? Is there a particular tone you’re going for?
I'm asking what you like, plain and simple

Thwap

Absolutely.
Without knowing what type of music you want to play, and what you've found lacking in any stock pickups, all you're going to get is everyone's favorite pickup brand.

Are you going for a classic PAF tone.
Do you want something a little more aggressive?
Or do you want something that can do hard rock, metal?

HerrRentz

I love the '57 PAF's. In fact I'm pretty crazy about them. I have had them in my lat three LP's and loved them in all of them. They have exactly the sound I hear on so many song I copy.

HERSCHEL

Whatever is in it is likely fine. I had two with the 490/498 set, though I replaced one with Seymour Duncan P-Rails and Triple-Shot rings for variety. I also played a Special with a Burstbucker 3/2 set that sounded amazing.

LuckyManToday

I'm of fan of 57 Classic pickups. Mr. Fralin also has a fine product. Just my two cents. There are so many variables though that affect your sound - amp, cable, picks, bridge, strings, string height over pickups, pole piece adjustment, amount of humidity in your speaker on a given day........

EndGame00

i would have kept the stock 61’s on my Classic LP if the volume output are balanced...The 61T wasnt loud enough for my liking, the 61R was boomy and loud....

490/498 just didnt sound good for the amps I use....

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
My 79 has the original T Tops in it and they sound fantastic. Getting a bit microphonic. But I love the sound.

I pulled the 498/490 set and went with Duncan Phat Cats. I’m well pleased with the result and a little surprised in some ways.
The bridge cleans up and twangs and I wasn’t expecting that from a Les Paul.

Trending Topics