Les Paul Pickups

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
I see so many good players use les pauls. I have owned 2 different standards and sold them pretty quickly.

Now that I’m better at dialing in an amp/setup I’m thinking of trying one again. I’m curious if there is a consensus or what you would recommend as the pickup to get with the LP.

I see there are burstbuckers, 498 what should I be looking for?
I like unpotted Pickups and there is something about Memphis Gibson Humbuckers. I have an ES335 and an ES LP Special and I am always surprised at the Clarity I get out of them.

I say try different Les Pauls until you find the one you love the Tone that comes out of it.

I think for the price of a Gibson, you should not have to change the Pickups.

Use the Pots to coax the tone out of the guitar. Turn up the Master Volume on the Amp and Set the Gain to mild break up with the Volume about half way and enjoy twisting the 4 knobs and 3 way selector, as you play.

Honestly, I do not think there is a better way. :cool:

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I have several Gibson humbuckers and they all have their own character. I had to switch the stock pickups for a Duncan JB/Jazz set in my LP Standard Pro DC because the original PUs were 2 conductor and I needed 4 conductor to take advantage of the Freeway Ultra 6-way with series and parallel options.

R. B.

I see so many good players use les pauls. I have owned 2 different standards and sold them pretty quickly.

Now that I’m better at dialing in an amp/setup I’m thinking of trying one again. I’m curious if there is a consensus or what you would recommend as the pickup to get with the LP.

I see there are burstbuckers, 498 what should I be looking for?
Sounds like you're looking at Les Paul standards?

The current standards have 2 variants: the 50s and the 60s style. each variant has a different set of burstbuckers, I think the 60s style are higher output. But these 2 variants differ in other features, probably neck profile most crucially, so it's worth considering not just whether you like the pickup, but whether the guitar as a whole is going to work for you.

The 490r / 490 t is now available in the Les Paul studio tribute and special tribute guitars, which are entry level Les Pauls.

Both these pickups sound good individually, but in my experience are difficult to balance. I found that the 490r / 498 t in the Les Paul studios balance much more easily as the 498 has the higher output to match the 490 in the neck and I prefer these.

dcbc

Thats actually what I put in mine. Technically they are Burstbucker, but there's a very slight difference in sound. I looked long and hard, as I wanted (at the time) to stay with Gibson pickups. Mine work wonderfully for me, but since they are unpoted, as said before, they can be a handful with higher gain.
I think the '59 Tributes are a little different than the Burstbuckers, at least according to this. I don't understand the technical aspects of it all though.

Sounds like they aren't quite as hot as the Burstbuckers.

From the link below:

"The new '59 Tribute humbuckers pay homage to this characteristic by using unbalanced coils - in other words mismatched or asymmetrical coils - in order to tap into this same sonic mojo. BurstBuckers also use asymmetrical coils, but the 59 Tribute differs in its use of a hotel slug coil rather than a hotter screw coil, meaning that the more powerful part of the pickup's magnetic field is focused a little further from the bridge, giving you a beefier, fuller tone than if the screw coil was hotter."

metrokosmiko

Silver Supporting Member
I just recently got my first Gibson and, as a Strat guy, I feel like the 498T/490R combo has all the LP tones I always have loved, though the general consensus on this forum is they are hotter and darker.
Love the middle position. The neck is kinda tubby, but the tradeoff is that you can throw all the gain in the world at it and it will hold its shape better.

Before I had this Gibson, I had a couple of Gibson style knockoff guitars and I LOVED the clarity of A4 humbuckers. I had Tonerider Alnico IV's on a Cort CR250 and, all cheapness aside, I was over the moon with that guitar. They were very clear and twangy, though I think that's not what people look for in a Les Paul.

Trending Topics