Les Paul quarter/half inch pickup rings

AlexF

hey guys, hope someone can help me. Is there anywhere I can buy full height les paul pickup rings which are (a) cream in colour (b) curved on the bottom and (c) dont cost as much as a rolex? I thought it would be fairly simple. It isnt. The gibson historic ones are pink (and expensive). all the others arent full height, even when they say they are (i.e schaller).
any help much appreciated.
alex

AlexF

many thanks rabbuhl, lots of great stuff there, unfortunately, those rings look like the gibson 'pink' ones.
A

rabbuhl

Are the historic and non-historic rings both pink? I thought maybe you could get the "Gibson Pickup Ring neck creme" and "Gibson Pickup Ring bridge creme".

romo

Silver Supporting Member
I put a set of the Gibson historic rings on my LP. I don't think they look pink at all, especially when compared to the standard Gibson USA pickup rings. There are several other replica pickup rings that might be more true to the original color, but if you think the Historics are expensive, they are going to be way out of your price range.

dspellman

I'm so NOT a fan of the pink plastics (including binding) on the production run of Gibson LPs. Wish they'd just stop that altogether.

Worth noting: Pickup rings do NOT need to be curved on the bottom when you buy them. Fact is, they're supposed to be fitted to the guitar, whether they arrive curved or not. They're not designed to be simply screwed onto the guitar, because the top curve can vary significantly from guitar to guitar.

Check out this StewMac newsletter for instructions on getting a custom fit on your guitar: http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0048.html

corncakes

Called Gibson, they never 'fit' the rings, just tighten them and they conform to the top.

I'm so NOT a fan of the pink plastics (including binding) on the production run of Gibson LPs. Wish they'd just stop that altogether.

Worth noting: Pickup rings do NOT need to be curved on the bottom when you buy them. Fact is, they're supposed to be fitted to the guitar, whether they arrive curved or not. They're not designed to be simply screwed onto the guitar, because the top curve can vary significantly from guitar to guitar.

Check out this StewMac newsletter for instructions on getting a custom fit on your guitar: http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0048.html

sunburst79

Unless they have changed the plastic recently the truly pink ones are Gibson USA parts and will say PURE in the card. The Historic ring are for more yellow and are packed in a yellow card labeled Historic. While the historic parts are not really the correct color I would say they are pink at all. If anything they are to yellow.

Most of the higher dollar replacements are a bit chalk-ier looking than the Historics with a bit of depth or translucency to them. EG unaged Vintage Clones were too white. DeadMint M69 rings were very close and Over the Pond rings also. Both of those brands are expensive if you can find them.

As mentioned Dimarzios Tall rings were probably your best choice on a budget.

omfg51

Historic parts are made to order for their guitars usually. Not to say you can't find them, but that's just why you've had trouble.

V-Type

I had the same problem. I wanted Creme Gibson rings in place of the stock black ones on my carved top Gibson The Paul II.
Turns out you have too concave them too conform too the body carve top curve.
I used sand paper btw.
Had i just screwed them down the screw holes would not have lined up and would have gouged the existing holes and finish. No thanks.
I tried them in Hot water as well too soften them up but again when screwed down the angles of the screws didnt match the existing ones.
I think Gibson has some that are for carved tops and are form made while they also sell rings for their flat tops.
I know some guys have no problems but I think the OP has the same issues I had.

danelectro

Silver Supporting Member
At $5 ea, the Dimarzio rings are a cheap alternative. The color is better than the Historic rings. They have the correct height although their footprint is slightly smaller. For reference; measuring the top of the Dimarzio neck ring it is 1.750" wide x 3.491" long vs the Historic ring which is 1.756" wide x 3.528 long. Not a problem on most Les Pauls, although years ago I put Dimarzios on my Les Paul Classic and the routed pickup pocket was nearly exposed due to the shorter length.

Gil Yaron's rings look pretty good and he offers them with both a flat and a curved bottom, but they aren't cheap.

Trending Topics