les paul R8 owners -tuning issues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Maven, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

i have a 2004 58 reissue Les Paul that i absolutely love, however, i can't seem to keep the G in tune. it seems like no matter what i do the string is always slipping. i always make sure the strings are locked. anyone else had any issues with their les paul tuners. my tech says that even though theu are american custom shop les pauls those tuners are still cheap japanese...i'm gonna put some grovvers on and see if that helps...

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I say ********!!......sorry.

I have two new historics, and R4 and R7 with the same "cheap japanese" machine heads with no problems, and we play hard, trust me.
    I also have an 82 with the flip out tuners, I have heard they they are crap for 20 years.....no problems.

I also think (appologies again) that the whole string locking thing is complete and utter ********, never have I ever had to do that, nope, nada, snake oil.

Most (appology again) tuning issues are due to improperly wound strings or a nut that is too tight or un-lubed.

So, in closing, lube your nuts, get 2-3 winds per machine head (ONE UNDER THE OTHER!) stretch the strings properly, and be happy.

3. ricoh

ricoh Member

Sorry................Couldn't help it

Rico

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Tell us how you really feel Mr. Hanky.:D

That damn G string can be a problem on any guitar. I agree, I don't think it has anything to do with the tuners.

Good advice by Mr. H, have your nut checked.:confused:

5. Mr.Hanky

That was no accident, lubed nuts for one and all.

Sorry, don't mean to come off as a prick as I often do, I blame it on my NYC upbringing.
    But I do feel strongly about this issue and I can back it up with 20+ years of beatin the **** out of LP's.

6. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Go have the nut worked on, or replaced if necessary.

It's the nut slot.

7. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I'm with the Hankster--sounds fishy...

Take it back to the authorized dealer where you bought it. Any local Gibson dealer will back up their product--it will be a non issue.

8. haslar

haslar Member

I own a '05 R8, and also have tuning stability issues.
    I wrap the strings exactly as advised in the case candy literature.
    I set them up exactly the same as on my Heritage H535, and have no tuning problems with the H535.

I have no nut lubricant at home, and never have felt the need to have any - until now.
    I think the actual problem comes from the way the nut is cut, it looks rather poorly cut IMHO. The low E string doesn't go deep enough, for instance.

I think I'm going to bring the guitar to my favorite tech, and ask him to custom-build a replacement bone nut. And add a bit of lube in the process :D

I'm confident it should solve the issue - but I still fail to understand how a guitar can come out of a Gibson Custom Shop with a poorly cut nut.
    :confused:

9. Mr.Hanky

Usually if the nut it too tight the G-string will do that infamous "chink..chink.." thing when tuning. If that is the case then everytime you stretch a string the nut will grap and hold it either flat or sharp. As a precaution I lube MY NUTS before every string change, I do the saddles as well. Just so everything slides easily and to help prevent breakage at the saddle.
    It may be overkill but I do not have tuning issues and rarely break strings.

That is also not to say that during a live set a guitar will not go out of tune. ANY guitar I have ever owned will do that live after an "ambitious" solo.

10. artandink

artandink Member

I recently picked up two used Historics, an R8 and R6. They were professionally worked on by a well known local luthier. Yes, I too have tuning problems. It's interesting because, of the 20 guitars I own, the only two with tuning problems are Gibson LPs. Go figure. I will make sure my nuts are well lubed.

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I agree with Mr. Hanky on this one. I have a 2005 R7 and put Carmex in the nut slots. After the stuff starts wearing out my tuning problems start increasing.

I think one of the biggest myths out there is replacement tuners. Everyone replaces their tuners without really addressing the fundamental problem which is the nut. I have had cheap guitars with bogus Mexican or Korean tuners and have never had any problems, it's pure hogwash that the tuners are the source of the problem.

My question for Mr. Hanky is when do these guitars finally break in so you don't have to do this all the time?

12. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I've got 2 R8s and an R9, and they are all super stable with their stock tuners.

I have a friend who is a great tech, and he swears it is almost never the tuners. Usually a poorly cut nut, and occasionally even a rough saddle slot can cause a string to bind at the bridge when bending. But he's amazed at the number of people who routinely swap the tuners out because they want "the best" or whatever, when a properly cut nut is the real solution....

He swears you don't even need any lube if the nut is cut right. I don't use any.

edited to add: Should have mentioned that my guy has installed 3 polished bone nuts on my LPs...

13. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Folks, Carmex is cheap, works great as a nut lube and even smells good. This highly concentrated lip balm can be found in most drug stores. I swear by it and use it on all guitars, from Gibsons to PRS to Suhrs at each string change before gigs. A toothpick makes a good applicator.

14. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I got an R8 on Monday, was having the same problem, chink chink. Restrung it and just used a pencil to lay some graphite in the slots while restringing it. Spot on no problems now. It's not the tuners, it's the nut, or the way your stringing, your tech should know better.

15. bobbymack

Thanks shallbe, ya gotta figure its a plus if your nuts smell good when they're lubed... :)

16. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've used the tube of graphite powder when restringing. I probably should replace the nuts, but I'm not having problems and I don't have a desire to fix what is not broken. Another thing that made the world of difference was the Graphtech saddles. I got the Graphtech saddles simply because I was breaking so many strings at the bridge. It was completely unruly. Switching the saddles enormously reduced my string breakage, however the most amazing thing to me was I didn't realize that you don't have to tune between every song! I ended up replacing all the saddles on all my guitars. I say it over and over again on the intarweb- the best $30 in gear you'll ever spend.

In the other R8 tuner thread I mentioned that I regretted replacing the tuners on my 98 R8 with Grovers. Don't do it. I seriously wish I would have listened to everybody who told me not to.

17. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

It just goes to show my attention to detail. Now I won't have them any other way. It is no coincidence that it is also a great lip balm. Extra benefits everywhere you look! :)

18. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Most of the time it is nut problems. Frankly, I do not like those nuts Gibson is currently using. It seems too soft and 'grabby', even when the slots are widened. I much prefer bone nuts with a bit of lube. The old plastic nuts Gibson used in the 50's was much harder than the stuff they use now.

The Gotoh-made kluson style tuners are pretty decent, lots of manufacturers use them, like Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc.

19. bobbymack

So I guess in theory someone could apply the Carmex liberally to their lips, then lube up your nuts with the "overspray", kinda killing 2 (or 3) birds with one stone... :NUTS