1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Les Paul R8 v R9?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Platypus, May 13, 2006.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Apologies if this is :horse

Having just graduated college I want to treat myself to a new axe and as long as I've played guitar I've always lusted after the tones Page got out of his 59 LP (cliche I know). I realize there is more to a tone than a guitar and I'm not looking to copy him by any means, but I've always wanted an LP and I figured I'd get one of the reissues.

So for LP players, what is the biggest difference between the 1958 and the 1959 reissue? Why is the R9 significantly more expensive?

Furthermore, are the Burstbuckers worth having or would 57 classics be better? Is there a better Les Paul out there that you guys would recommend over the R* series?

I've never owned a Gibson axe but I've noticed that every LP I've ever played felt different.. some really had great tone others were kind of meh, is this true in the R series as well? Are there any other issues I should look for in my search?

Thanks a lot!

2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

First of all congrats. There are more qualified here to answer than me, I've had my '58 less than a year but in a nutshell.......the flame/grain. You pay for that on a '59, right fellers?

3. Platypus

Thank you, glad to be done!

Is it really only cosmetics? I really don't care how it looks, I'm more concerned about sonics. How do you like your 58? Does it give you a vintage tone? That's what I'm really after, I'd really only use it through my Orange and whatever new amp that GAS demands I purchase :p

4. FredW

FredW Member

The neck profile and weight are the main differences. The 59 neck is not quite as big as the 58. They also stoped making 58's with figured tops a couple of years ago. The factory specs for weight are also different, with the lightest wood going to the 59's. I would check out the les paul forum and go to the dealers section. You will be able to find a great axe used from one of the forum dealers.

Good Luck!

5. Platypus

I figured the neck would be a bit slimmer on the 59 based on stuff I've read but isn't weight a GOOD thing with an LP with more weight being better?

Thanks for the reply, checking out the LP forum

6. Mondoslug

Yeah I guess the neck thing I forgot, my 58 neck is a little chunky but comfortable. I'm not a fan of the big necks in general, wouldn't hurt my feelings for it to be slimmer but I like it fine. Mines light though and sounds way decent. Happy Camper. If I had the extra 1K at the time I might have gone for a used '59 Historic.

'58 at:
    http://andymost.com/Guitars.html

7. FredW

FredW Member

No, not necessarily. Ideal weight IMHO is 8 to 9 lbs. The has been great debate on this issue, but most people want a lighter more resonant guitar and that is why Gibson picks the best and lightest wood for the 59's. If I were you, I would look for a 99-01 59 reissue. I just think they used better wood back then and you will definately get more for your money. You should be able to get a killer guitar for +/- $3,500. I have seen some nice 99 r9's on the net at fatsound and mark's guitar loft. Remember that the real one's were not boat anchors like 70's LP's.

8. Platypus

Thanks for the info Fred

Is it possible to find a used R8 in the ~2500 price range?

9. Mondoslug

For sure...There was one around one of these boards for 2K recently I think. I got mine for $1899 new less than a year ago.

10. Platypus

Where did you find it for 1899 new?

I'd love to just pull the trigger on that 2k one right now but with LP's I'd really want to play it in person first.

11. Mondoslug

Not Musician's Friend but probably their main internet competitor. Gibson has since raised the price though.

12. Platypus

How is the quality on the R8's? From all the other Gibson's I've played it seems like you find a good one and the one next to it serial number wise sounds different.. this is my only hesitation buying a guitar without having played it first. If it's pretty consistant I might just pull the trigger on one.

edit: btw, nice clip, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for

13. Platypus

Hmm interesting idea, shot willcutts an email.

Can anyone comment on the Burstbucker 1/2's vs 57 Classics for vintage tone?

14. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

The burstbuckers to my ears don't give a real vintage tone. they're a little edgier and aggressive sounding. I loaded my R8 with WCR Goodwoods, and it really opened it up. Much more articulate sounding than the BB's that came installed. Still capable of copious amounts of growl. Added a lightweight tailpiece, and Superpots from RSguitarworks. She's a fookin beast.Haven't tried the 57's so can't really add anything on those.

15. Platypus

Well, I like the edgy/aggressive part of that.. but are they completely modern sounding? Seems weird they'd do that on a 58 reissue. How well do you think the BB's would handle zeppelin/sabbath esque tones?

16. Thwap

I think it's probably gonna depend on your amp, but no they're not completely modern sounding at all to my ears. I'm playing through a Bogner Shiva which is a little compressed to begin with.

I actually changed them out because in my case, they just sounded a little muddy. I've got a set of BB pros in my 02 standard that sound great. Have kind of a "nasally honk" to em that I just love.

But the BB's that came in the R8 just didn't cut it for me. They did the Zeppelin/Sabbath type stuff with the grunt that I'd desire, I just couldn't get the mud out of it. But that may be just the way everything lined up in my situation.

Best thing to do, get an R8, they're fantastic guitars, and see how you like em in your chain. They're good pickups. If you don't like em, a pickup swaps easy enough.

17. Platypus

Very true, I think a lot of it will depend on the amp. I really like my PRS custom 22 through my orange but it sounds totally different than my dual rectifier as well.. almost like they're two different guitars. I'll just go for it and see how I like them with my Orange.. do you find that the WCR pickups still have a gibson 'flavor' to them? I'd be afraid of switching to a pickup that wasn't a gibson for a les paul for fear that it would lose the LP sound.

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

[​IMG]
    Gibson Historic Collection 1958 Les Paul Figured Top Reissue (2002)
    Washed Cherry finish, 8 lbs 13 ounces, this guitar has been played quite a bit and I think someone also tried to do some artificial aging as there quite a few scratches, dings and dents (see pictures), the pickup covers have been off and back on, guitar has a heavy aged tailpiece not the original aluminum one, all else on guitar is stock, (frets have just been leveled and recrowned), certificate and black Historic case.
    $2,595.00 2% cash discount

http://marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=electrics

19. Thwap

Here's the WCR website, they have quite a few soundclips there that will give you an idea of the sound.

http://www.crcoils.com/

You definitely won't lose the Les Paul sound. I've been an LP guy for over 30 years, and I've had many. Of course tone is a subjective thing to all of us, but I surely know what you mean when you say you don't want to lose the Les paul sound. I can say that for me, the goodwoods matched with my R8, is the best sounding LP I've ever owned. And there's quite a few guys here on TGP that really love the WCR pickups.

20. Platypus

Interesting, thanks for the insight. I listened to the clips of the Goodwood and Crossroads sets, they both sounded pretty slick but still pretty 'modern' if that makes sense.. probably just the way they set it up? The Crossroad sounds closer to what I was thinking of