Les Paul R8

FAT TIME

Could anyone please tell me if this SERIAL NUMBER 801419 is correct for a 58 reissue les paul.
There are no spaces between the numbers.
I thought that the reissues had the number of the reissue at the beginning and a space between the year/production number.
Thank you.

Tim Plains

Guitar dater sucks for non Gibson USA serial numbers.
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Gibson Custom

1952-1960 Les Paul, Explorer, Flying V, and Futura reissues (since late 1992):
M YRRR or MYRRRR
M is the model year being reissued
Y is the production year
RRR(R) indicates the guitar's place production for that year. NOTE: This number includes all models for a particular reissue year - so, for example, a 1958 Reissue serial number may include '58 Reissue LP Standard and '58 Explorer production.

FAT TIME

Thank you Are Nine.
However I believe that there is something wrong with this serial number 801419.

Tim Plains

Like what? What do you think happens to the serial number once they make 999 R8s in one year?

8 = '58 reissue.
0 = 2010 or 2000 (but 2010 in this case because they didn't make that many R8s in 2000).
1419 = 1,419th '58 reissue made that year.

Nada

that serial is perfectly ok. unless you have other compelling reasons to believe the guitar is a fake, then go forward with confidence.

cajulian

This guitar is out of the Gibson Custom Shop. I just received my new 58 and the numbering scheme is the same as yours. I discussed this with them and they said that's how they number them now. Some of the older ones would be R8 xxxx.

Are Nine is correct in his breakdown above of the the number sequence and what each position means.

Trending Topics