1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Les Paul - Should it stay or go?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mojoman, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Hi all,
    This is my first post here.
    I am having some serious thoughts about trading my Les Paul away. I don't know why it just doesnt do it for me. But part of me says to hang onto it, because you know its a "gotta have" tone and guitar.
    What do you all think? I have a Tom Anderson Strat as my main guitar, but hat something for higher gain, humbucker sounds. What should I look into that I could trade the Paul in for. Dont want to add too much more cash.
    The Les Paul is a 2003 Standard Plus in Honeyburst. Almost perfect condistion, just one small scratch under the strings.
    Give me some guidance, thoughts, suggestions.....
    Thanks.

2. jw71

jw71 Member

Ditch the LP and get something you want. Don't fall into the "must have" attitude that is dictated by somebody else. Get what YOU want, and find your own sound. I fell into the same trap with Les Pauls for a while, and no matter how much I tried to like them, they just always seemed too thick and dark for me, and I've had three of them. I always go back to SG's because of that in your face, bratty, brash, bright roar they have. Many people don't like it, but I don't care, I just decided to play what I like. A good SG always makes me play better than I ever played on a Les Paul.

Everybody hears things differently, and music is about having fun, so play what gives you joy.

But then again, I don't want to be considered a "heretic" for not really considering LP's necessary.:p

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I'd hate to tell anyone to loose a LP but if it doesn't do it for you, then trade it in or up.

FIRST, define what it is that you do not like. Some things can be corrected with electronics (new pups, pots) some can not.

Any guitar is hit or miss, it is always best to find one that you dig. Play before you pay!

4. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

i've been on a search for a great humbucker-equipped guitar as well, and i just can't get into LPs. i've always been a fan of SGs thanks to Angus Young, but I'm in love with the CS-356, Gibson's Custom Shop semi-hollow; those are amazing!

anyways, i would look into maybe a PRS. the custom 22s and 24s are real nice, as well as the mccartys. check those out!

5. VDeuce

VDeuce Member

Ya' like what ya' like. Perhaps the Les Paul isn't for you, but there are so many varieties of LPs, you may want to check out some others.

Classics, Standards, Customs, LEs, Historics, Juniors.....

If you sell it and find you miss the LP tone/vibe, you can always get another one.

6. KHK

KHK Silver Supporting Member

Thinkin' that the only "gotta have" tone/guitar is the one that does it for you. If it doesn't do it for you, you "gotta" get rid of it. Seems as if I always feel good about my tone when I play a guitar that feels good. If that LP doesn't do it for you, try another. If that style doesn't do it, try another.

I have an LP that has been my workhorse for a long time and I have never struggled with it to get my tone. Wouldn't sell it in a mil. years. As someone said, switching pickups and electronics can make a night/day difference.

Also have a CS356 and they're a different breed...nicely made and pretty versatile. Much lighter than an LP and can go from mellow clean to the coolest singing, sustaining tone with bite when you up the gain.

Custom Shop Gibsons aren't cheap and you might want to look at some of the instruments in the Small Luthier Forum before you go too far. Quite a variety over there for similar or not much more $$$ than a custom shop model. And you'd be supporting the little guy.:)

The stuff over there is the real deal.

Good luck!

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Methinks you've answered your own question here.

8. dave s

dave s Member

You may be in the same boat as me. I've always owned and tried to like LPs, P90 and other HB loaded guitars. They just don't work for me. But think I always need one or have to have one.

Honestly, I figured out a long time ago, that I'm just a died-in-the-wool strat guy. Just dumped the last P90 guitar and have a second strat on the way.

Grosh RC and a Fender as its backup. That's what I'm keeping.

dave

9. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I say go. I love LP's, but I don't think they're for me either. I just got one of the LP Deluxe Reissues.

Mine is a good example, but I'm not bonding with it either. It's going back. There are more fish in the sea...

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

There are plenty of guitars you will find that will do it for you so I say, "sell." That being said the longer you play the more you'll find your tastes will change.

I just bought a Les Paul after not wanting one for 20 years, I just never was into it. This particular guitar just works for me, I knew immediately (or within 10 minutes) I would have to get it. You should never have to sell yourself on any instrument, it should want you. Sounds strange but it's true, you will know if your patient.

My advice is play as many different guitars as possible and do not get caught up in color, make, style, pickup combos etc... just go in with the thought "I'm going to get the best guitar I can get for me that suits my playing style"

11. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

I've experienced something similar to what you're talking about. I kept selling, then buying after a 4 - 5 month hiatus. I'm hoping the last few LP's I recently sold will be it for good. I've realized that I don't need a LP for humbucker tone, I just need hb's. Sounds simple enough, but it took me years to figure it out. And I'm not saying you can 'get LP tone from a Strat with hb's' - just that I like the tones I get out of hb loaded Strats (and Teles) enough to satisfy the random urge I get for those tones. Others have found that to be the case as well.

Having said that I should add that LP's aren't an option for me playing-wise as they create problems for my picking hand wrist due to the fact that I'm so used to Fender style geetars. Were that not the case, I'd have kept at least one (a beautiful, articulate, resonant, lightweight R9 long since sold) just because I think they're cool and happen to like the tones they generally provide. If the feel and look are right with the guitar in question, you may want to consider a pickup swap. Otherwise, it may be time to mover along...

12. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

I've bought and sold so many Les Pauls over the years, and there's not one of them I miss.
    I'd love to love Pauls, but alas, I am a Strat guy. Humbucker equipped Strats, that is. That's who I am.

That's apparently who you are as well.

13. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Thanks for all the input. I know I kind of answered my own question, but needed to get some backup opinions. Where is the best place to sell a LP? Ebay? Classifieds here?

14. SimonBSinister

SimonBSinister Silver Supporting Member

Do you have pics of it? Where are you located I may be interested.....

Flame?
    All Stock?
    What store did you buy it from?
    Price?

Thanks
    Simon

SimonBarSinister99@excite.com