Les Paul sound out of a Tele? Pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Nov 5, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

hey guys, i'm looking to by a new guitar and i've really been liking the les paul standards. the thing is, i'm really more of a tele man. i was wondering if any of you have any recs. to getting a les paul standard sound out of a tele or strat. I'd like to know which humbuckers you think is the best for a tele bridge (single coil size). Also what about the wood type that the guitar is made out of.

p.s. I'm playing through a Divided by 13 FTR37

thanks, jon

2. MrMunky

MrMunky Member

3. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I got a 4 way switch put into my Tele.

=Bridge, Parallel, Neck, Series

The extra position adds a thicker and louder choice. It adds mids reminiscent of Pauls. I'm not sure if it will give you exactly what you are looking for but it is cool nevertheless.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

The smokey midrange howl that Roy coaxed from Nancy oozed a bigeminal single coil / LP-esque pulse to the power of ten. And that soulful transmission exists in a Hamel Telecaster bridge pickup.

I encourage Pynchon whilst you wait.

5. haml

haml Member

For the last few years my "go to" guitar has been a Nashville Deluxe Tele. I considered all the humbucker equipped Tele styled guitars. I also had a American Deluxe Strat that I just could not bond with. I considered installing humbuckers in the Strat. I ended up trading the Strat for a close to mint "91 Les Paul Studio with an ebony finger board. The Les Paul is now my "go to" guitar. My advice? Buy a Les Paul. Find the right one and you won't regret it.

Brad

6. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Try a P90 in the bridge. Maybe a mahogany body.

I'm not a big LP fan, but I get some very Gibson-ish tone from the SK T90 in my chambered mahogany esquire. Thick, fullbodied growl. Equal propensity for grind and sustain.

7. themusicboxstudios

thanks guys, i'm gonna do some used shopping, if i can pick up used les paul standard for aroun a grand, i'll probably pull the trigger.

thanks, jon

8. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

there is no rudeness intended in this remark... just a question:

why would you want a tele to sound like a les paul?

9. themusicboxstudios

because i've been playing tele's for years. i feel at home with tele's, and it fits my band's image ...

comfort and image are everything

10. cheesey

cheesey Member

im in a similar state, i use a strat and for some tunes it aint enuff tits. i would like a standard but am thinking about getting a junior , i like the heritage bergundy or the tv ri.

11. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

i see. well, if that's the case:

have Warmoth or some other company build you a mahogany tele body with a maple cap. then have them make you a bolt on mahogany tele neck with a rosewood board. drop some 57 classics in there and you will pretty much have an LP that looks like a tele.

there's one way to go about it.

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have a G&L bluesboy with a Seth Lover in the neck and Duncan Little 59 in the bridge. While it doesn't have the huge fatness of a LP and it is a little brighter, there is definitely some common ground there.

13. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

You might want to consider a Les Paul Jr or Special. Just a slab of mahogany and P-90's - can sound every bit as meaty as a humbucker Les Paul and give you some of that definition you get out of a Tele... :)

14. themusicboxstudios

ya, that's what i was thinking ... i don't know ... i'm kind of tired of just half assing things though ... if i want les paul tone ... i should probably get a les paul ... although the warmoth idea interests me a lot.

15. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

if you like the Warmoth idea then I actually have a little bit of knowledge as I just completed a custom guitar myself.

all in all I spent about 800 bucks on a guitar that would cost me 3500 from the Fender custom shop. only catch is, you don't get to play it before you buy it so you better know exactly what you want... i.e. neck specs, fret size, even down to the capacitors in your wiring harness. best medicine is research heavily. but my Strat did turn out AWESOME!!!

16. larc

larc Member

Don't know of any single coil that would provide a Les Paul standard sound.

If you have money to blow, check out a Fender Telecaster Deluxe. It's basically a 70's telecaster (alderwood body with a maple neck that has a strat headstock). The pickups are 2 humbuckers designed by Seth Lover. In that guitar, those pickups have a tele type of twang to them but you get more of that humbucker type output.

Originals examples are going for a lot more dollars these days. So perhaps you might want to look at a re-issue. I heard the re-issue pickups don't stack up to the originals though.

17. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I'm pretty sure Warmouth offer 24.5" bolt on necks. That would be ideal because alot of the feel and tone of an LP comes from the shorter scale length.

18. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

But he wants the feel of a Tele, right? Longer scale legnth is probably in order.

The Deluxe neck feels more like a Strat to me, and No bolt-on maple neck will EVER sound like a set-neck Mahogany guitar. Ever. Just the way it is. I love the Tele deluxe. One of my - no, is my favorite electric guitar right now. It's just a re-painted re-issue and is way less expensive than some of my others. I just love the way it sounds and feels. I've played only one original one, and it sounded killer. Warmer than mine is by a little, but there was a huge hunk taken out of the neck that I couldn't live with. Once I beat it some, I'm sure it'll wear in. But it doesn't sound anything like my Les Paul. Probably as close as you'll get in my opinion though, if you want to play a Fender-style guitar. It retains just a touch of twang. If you want Les Paul tone, you needs to get a Les Paul. As they've been the least consistent guitars I've looked at for the past 3 years, I'd recommend playing them before you buy them.

Charlie's Mahogany/maple Warmoth idea has a lot of merit. Has anyone tried it out? With humbuckers? Can you make them with glue-in necks?

19. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

I built a tele-deluxe knock off out of Warmoth parts about 4 years ago. It started with the big chrome Fender humbucker in the neck (Warmoth sells them...) and a Duncan hot stack in the bridge. This was because Warmoth couldn't route the body for the extra-sized humbucker in the bridge. I changed pickups about 5 times until I got the magic combination: Fralin Unbuckers in the neck and bridge. (I had the bridge routed)
    Clean, I've got a great countrified sound. With distortion/od, it sounds more like a LP than any other guitar I've ever owned, other than an actual LP.
    Unbuckers are hard to find, but man are they cool...

Paul

20. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Well the tone Jeff beck gets on "because we ended as lovers" sounds like a damn fine impersonation of an LP to me. That's the Tele-gib: a beat-up 50's tele with Seymour Duncan custom wound humbuckers in the neck and bridge. In my mind thats the tone any HB tele wants to live up to.