Les Paul Special or SG Classic??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dewman, Jul 12, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

PLease help me decide between a red 90s les paul special, single cutaway, P100s (probably will be switched out to Lollar P90s) bound neck - used nice feel and finish (just red instead of TV yellow) and a new SG classic, also nice feel and finish, red finish stock pups, bound neck.

I was looking at another Les Paul Studio Gem with P90s which sounded great and was tagged at 450$, but the headstock is repaired and that could be an issue...I guess the sound is similar to the LP special more than the SG? Hard to compare against each other since each guitar is at a different store.

I really want a P90 guitar for blues playing, and have fallen in love with the sound and I think my amps will match it pretty well (thanks fellow TGPers!)- am I overlooking any reasonable high quality P90 guitar under $1000? Any other out there for a little more than $1000???

2. dewman

anyone also change caps or pots when dropping in replacement P90s like Lollars?

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've got a plain old 98 lespaul special and until I got my hamer korina jr it was the best sounding and playing guitar I had...I would even (puts flameproof jacket on) say that it sounded and definately played better than the R4 I had.
    And I think the p100's sound great, mine are still in.And I've owned KA's, lollars, sd'S ETC....
    I find that the lack of carved top means that its a bit thinner, which makes it a little lighter but gives excellent upper fret access in comparison to my LP custom.
    I say go for it!!

4. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I absolutley love my SG Classic. It is very comfortable to play. Sounds and plays great. It will definately cover blues, but it will also handle just about anything else you throw at it.

5. dewman

can you get a hamer korina loaded with two P90s? And how much did it set you back..I can get the Les Paul special for under 800$ and the SG Special for about the same price. My guess is that the Hamer is probably big bones...maybe worth it, but definitely big bones. I played a non-historic les paul w/ P90s a while back and it was nice, but wooly. I liked the Les Paul Special and SG since they appeared to have a bit more balance and clarity (is that the right word). Havent played the R4 though. Also the custom shop 1960 special is one that I would love to play, although there are none here in NC to try out...any suggestions on a source?

6. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Well, personally no guitar looks better to me than an SG but I can't stand the neck joint! I would go for the special, especially a single cut, as it is a much more stable guitar, especially if you're really going to work that neck, as I do in blues... Plus there's just something about the straight forward, no fuss no muss approach of the specials.

I have an old hamer p90 special, for just that reason. If you can find a 93 or so hamer p90 special, you will be getting a guitar inspired, or should I say "ripped off" from the les paul special, but an instrument that was built from the ground up to be a professional grade instrument for between $450 and $600. Let's not forget the gibson specials were "student" models...

Either way, SG or Special, you're looking at some cool instruments. But for me, the SG neck design flaw rears its head sooner or later. I keep buying them, and getting rid of them after a year or so. But I do keep buying them :p Did you know Les Paul argued for a through neck design on the SG, like the firebird, and lost... One reason his name came off it.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

Yes you can. The Artist would be the most likely one you could find. Used they go for between $800 and a $1,000. They are very nice guitars. They are semi-hollow on the bass side only.

Another Hamer is the Special. They are usually made of mahagony. The go for between $400 and $600. They are a double cut guitar with a flat top. The quality is very good and they sound great.

As far as the guitars you are looking at, I would say they are all even. It is simply a matter of personal choice.

8. jumpskirt

jumpskirt Silver Supporting Member

I love my Specials. I have 3 - two HB's and one p-90. Great for giging. I love the tone on the HB's. I worked more with those than the one with p-90's. Also, at 8lbs it's eas(ier) on my shoulder, and I don't worry about it as much as I would a Standard in the places we play.

I tried the SG, but it felt neck-heavy, and I did not like the neck joint, either. The Special has the single cut LP shape, which I prefer.

9. tdu

tdu Member

10. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

They're both great guitars, you can't really go wrong with either unless the particular one you happen to get is a dog.

Mine's a '95

If you can find one of these early to mid '90s models with the neck binding and drop in some vintage wind P-90s you get a real screamer for a reasonable amount of money.

[​IMG]

11. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I am a huge fan of the new SG Classics. Do yourself a favor and at least try one before you decide. Pretty much every Guitar Center has these in stock and they are so consistent it's scary. And there's just something about em...

/rick

12. ES350

ES350 Member

If you can find one of these early to mid '90s models with the neck binding and drop in some vintage wind P-90s you get a real screamer for a reasonable amount of money.

Ditto that...got one for pretty cheap and it's kinda replaced my R6 as the gig guitar.

13. tdu

tdu Member

I'd love to see where you guys are finding these for cheap. I have had no luck whatsoever. That is how I started looking at the Edwards in the first place.

14. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

The key is getting the definition of the word "cheap" from folks. It's all relative...:D

15. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

SG Classic all the way. Snarling tones, nice fat neck. I even liked the way the stock pickups sounded. Best bargain under $1000 in my opinion. I've played a few Specials. They're good but to me they don't feel as tight and responsive as the SG.

16. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I'd say to go with the Les Paul Special (either the SC or DC). The Special has a beefier body which gives the notes more thickness and body. I had an SG Custom and I didn't care for the ultrathin body, it made for quick attack, but I felt the tone was weaker.

17. warren0728

warren0728 Member

i've got a 98 les paul special with p100's and i love it. Incredible sound and sustain. I'd go with the special.

ww

18. justonwo

justonwo Member

In terms of sound and playability, I like my SG Classic more than my R6. I can't recommend one enough and agree that it's the best deal under $1000 right now. The upper fret access and light weight are unbeatable, and the guitar is versatile enough to cover tons of territory.

19. dewman

ok so tried a hamer american DC special. Great guitar but many $$$ for about the same tone as the special. Anyone have a 1960 historic Gibby CS singlecutaway special and could comment on these guitars? Its twice as much used as the guitars I am considering, but worth it??

20. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

I just got an SG Classic. Awesome guitar! I sold of my PRS CU22 as a result. I have been told to switch out the P90s for Rio Grandes, but the stock ones sound great to me. It is a good weight, not neck heavy what-so-ever. I used that 20% off coupon from GC and scored it for $699. Awesome guitar! Especially for that price and I sold my CU22 for nearly twice that! Buy the SG!