les paul specials

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by keith_t4e, Jan 24, 2006.

1. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm in the market for a used one because the new models the last few years leave a lot to be desired. First they put that litle square inlay. Now they are the faded ones. In the early 90s and back they were OK. They seem to have appreciated. I know of two both about $800.00 bucks. Anyone know if this is about right?

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I saw one at the guitar show the other week for $750, in the rare mint green color that I love. It was hard not going home with that one. Great guitars, just itty bitty necks for me.

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

something that I've noticed when asking sales guys to discribe the neck to me over the phone is that they are scared to say small because most people want a thicker neck. It just so happens that I like them small. I had a 94 double but with P-100s. On some old Zep and whatnot it killed. Through my then Classic 50 it really nailed classic rock.

4. Calloway

Well then you owe it to yourself to buy one. :D I had one in natural finish, my first Gibson. It was awesome, but I had to let it go to get a Firebird, which was a love that just didn't last, oh well.

5. SFK

SFK Member

I had a 96 TV Single cut.

Still had binding and the right inlay etc.
    If you can look for a early mid 90s model.
    Pretty much an authentic RI 'cept the tuneomatic/stopbar and the slimmer neck.

One of the only things I've let go that I truly miss. :(

But I sold it, a 93 Jr and a 91 Classic when I got My R7 and a TV Jr so 'taint so bad. :)

6. Calloway

Hey Special, I'm not letting go of my Goldtop now just because I thought of you and that TV Yellow Special, man that was quite a suprise when you said you let that one go! I'll call you this week to hang out!

7. SFK

SFK Member

Right on!

One day I'll pop for an Historic Special or an R4. But I LOVE the single PU Jr I have now.

8. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

You could not give me any of the ones they have done the past 5 or 6 years. The mid 90s ones are pretty cool though. I like the P100s too though most people prefer the P90s.

9. justicetones

justicetones Member

I bought one in 2002 or 2003. I changed the Humbuckers in it and all the pots and caps. Had it Feitenized. The only thing left to do is a tone pros bridge.

The thing sounds huge and plays awesome. I am glad I bought it without a doubt.:JAM

10. SFK

SFK Member

Here's one like the one I had. (see above)

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=859705

Very clean. A pickup swap away from being an awesome guitar! Not priced bad either.

These also feature the proper box neck joint the later ones lost.

[​IMG]

11. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Have to replace the P100s with P90s though.

12. SFK

SFK Member

< Very clean. A pickup swap away from being an awesome guitar! >

I agree.

13. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Ditto on the mid early/mid '90s production Specials. I've had a cherry '95 LP singlecut for about 8 years. I put Duncan vintage soapbars in it and, although I've had some periods where I use my ASAT or PRS SC a lot, overall that LP Special has gotten the most playing time.
    I chose it over a Historic double cut at the time but I've been thinking I'd like to get a Historic singlecut and compare them. I don't mind the slimmer neck but if I had to pick, I'd prefer a little heftier neck and I'd like the wrapover bridge, too.

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

14. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I love the double cuts!

The mid-90s DC TV Specials are cool, nice look, the neck isn't as hefty as I'd prefer, and I'd prefer the wraparound, but the stop/TOM isn't bad.

15. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Plus, I think some of the double cuts came stock with P-90s not P-100s.

16. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

IIRC, the Doublecuts came stock w P90s, and the Singlecuts had P100s oddly enough. At least that's what I recall the literature saying.

17. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Honestly, I remember my double cut 94 as having P100s. Mine was a 100 year Gibson anniversary, so it had an emblem on it which was cool. I got a leather strap with the same emblem. I pulled the trigger on it and it is the same one as pictured above. The shop is Music Services also Very Cool Guitars I believe. Go to their site. They keep some late model clean nicely priced good guitars. I actually prefer the P100s and the slimmer necks. I do, however, wish it was the double cut. I love double cuts. It is too bad the les paul standard double cuts all seem to suck ass so bad.

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've got a '93 Special that's very nice - I use it all the time. The P-100's allow me to use it at gigs, and I think they sound just fine. Build quality is very good, and I was brought up w/late 60's-70's Gibsons, so I actually like the slimmer necks.

Interesting that they're sneaking up in price - they were stuck around $500-550 for a LONG time.

Loudboy

19. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I left the P-100s in mine for awhile when I first got it. I don't think they sound bad and for either clean tone or fairly high gain they sound quite good. They seem to retain a little more clarity than regular humbuckers when you use a lot of gain.

I think the reason they get a bad rap is they don't actually sound like P-90s or react to your touch in the same way, especially with slight break up and medium overdrive tone. Since that's where P-90s really shine, folks that are into P-90s tend to be very disappointed with the P-100s.

20. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I had P-100s in my Deluxe for years, and I had even replaced the bridge pickup with in my Special with a P-100 when the P-90 failed. After a long time of being perfectly happy with the P-100s, I had tried out a Duncan Custom P-90 in one of my guitars, and the difference was amazing. They were so much more touch sensitive and dynamic, and they seemed to let the tone 'breathe.' I replaced all of the P-100s in all my guitars. They're for sale if you want them! :D