Les Paul Standard, anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cary Chilton, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I still don't have a Les Paul and I would like to pick up one. Is their such thing as a good year for Les PAuls? I wouldn't want a huge neck, do I want a 50's or 60's neck?

Every Les Paul that I tried sounded different. Is there any advice for prospective buyers looking for a tone monster?

2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Play as many as you can....one will speak to you eventually.

3. billm408

billm408 Member

Very subjective on the "good" years and 50's vs. 60's necks.
    Play as many as you can before deciding on one... or two. You'll find one that feels and sounds right. You could always go here too http://www.lespaulforum.com

4. guitaraddict

guitaraddict Supporting Member

If you don't want a big neck you will probably want to go with a 60's.

5. Desperado

Desperado Vertex Effects, Inc.

I love the 60's neck...I played a bunch of them at a Guitar Center to figure out whether I preferred a 50's or 60's neck. I'm used to a Strat "C" neck, so this was most comfortable to me.

Ultimately, I ended up find a used one on Craigslist for $1250 that was like new, and 9.0lbs exactly, and was a beautiful Cherry Sunburst. It sounds amazing, feels great, and is even better with the Duncan Antiquities that I put in there.

My advice, like everyone else's is that you play as many as you can, to find what you like, and then look on the used market for a good deal. I often see LP's on Craigslist for less that $1500.

6. Cary Chilton

what is Craigslist? Is there any buy protection on there?

7. 67super

67super Supporting Member

www.craigslist.org

and it's buyer beware.

8. Desperado

But...generally if you know what you're looking for, and you're familiar with the product, it's hard to get burned on Craigslist, where you meet people in person. I can usually judge by how the person comports themselves, how their house looks, etc. to size them up. Lots of good deals to be found on Craigslist.

9. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I went without a Les Paul for a long time...then I got a Standard a few months ago. I haven't put it down since. It immediately became my #1 guitar over my PRS Standard 22.

10. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

I have medium/average-sized hands, but I definitely prefer the '50s neck on my LP Standard. My hands get really cramped after about an hour or so with a smaller neck. I actually just bought an ES-339 with a '59 nick which is even chunkier, but I digress...

Head on over to a reputable Gibson dealer and play as many as you can. It took me ~5 hours to find the right one for me in a store that had about 15 LPs in stock. Hopefully you'll find one that speaks to you.

11. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I have had a bunch of LP Standards. Wonderful guitars. The 50s necks are actually quite comfortable. I found the 60s necks too small.

12. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I agree, in fact I found my goto gig amp on Craigslist for a bargain. It was a 68 DR. The reason for my warning was the fact that the OP was not familiar with CL. I would be very hesitant to do anything but local on CL.

13. Desperado

I agree totally...only do local deals on Craigslist, although I've gotten lucky with a few things sight-unseen, I wouldn't buy anything over $100 like that.

14. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I got my first Gibson LP Standard a few months ago, a 2007. Nothing like it, really. I still have my American Strats, which I love. The 2007 models have gotten a lot of great reviews from players. Gibson announced new 2008's with some changes, see their website for details.

Check out the lespaulforum.com too.

15. Cary Chilton

is the elitest any better than the standard???

16. eric-d

eric-d Member

Mine is an '02 Std w/ a 50's neck. It's not that big. I'd say it's on line with a chunky "C". It's not like the R6 or R8 necks that came from Louisville!!! :D I got mine with a "Historic" case and they couldn't find the P/G either ... No big deal. It was being sold at a slight discount because of a couple small dings. I knew the guy and he sold it to me for $1400 out the door if I recall correctly. I'm in the process of upgrading/changing things now. I just got a set of Antiquity's, the RS vintage kit should be here this coming week (and some extra caps to try out), and possibly I'm going to get some extra hardware in the future. I AM taking it to my buddy, who's a luthier, and have him put a bone nut on it.

[​IMG]

OH yeah - IMHO -the stock Burst-Buckers SUCK! Every LP Std I've played with these pickups in there - sound unbalanced. The neck is 1-diminsional, and the bridge is thin.... They reallly don't even sound like a humbucker - in a weird sort of way.... Not my cup of tea. I'd think about slapping in some Antiquity's (like I have), or Lollar's, WCR's, or Wolftone's!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  17. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I'm not at all impressed with any of the newer Paul's I tried recently. Go for what feels right but I myself would look for and eighties to early nineties with a medium neck. Some can be had cheap and if your lucky, will be nicely broke in. These are chunky guitars and I believe time mellows them. A little mojo from being played helps too. The last half dozen or so I tried off the rack just seemed stiff and bright.

18. BigPants

BigPants Member

I have a '92 Les Paul Standard. I did hear that the '92 models have more of a '1960' neck profile. I like it a lot.

I must admit I bought a Les Paul Studio in 1997 from the US. Saved a ton of money (I live in the UK). I got rid after 6 months after playing the one I have now in a music shop. I couldn't get on with the Studio at all. It felt heavy and the neck was big. My friend plays a Studio and it feels just like my old guitar.

Make usure you are buying a LP for the right reasons, not just because you think you want one. They are great guitars but need a lot of care if you gig a lot. It's not like a Strat that you can throw around.