• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Les Paul Standard DC

fatherjones.com

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody like these? I just got this, and while I may trade it away, it is starting to grow on me. Love the looks.

mwc2112

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, I like those very much. I passed up a really nice one not that long ago in great condition for $800... still kicking myself for it too.

fatherjones.com

Silver Supporting Member
Just put some Fralin paf buckers in my honeyburst dc. This thing sounds so incredibly sweet and warm and clear. The 24 fret neck has the advantage of pushing the neck pickup back toward the bridge, and gives it a slightly sweeter/clearer tone. This is something that folks have known since the SG came out I guess with its slightly further back neck pup. This guitar is both light, gorgeous and toneful. Honestly, it's seeming like the best value out there in Gibsons. After all, a new Standard costs $2,300. I have about 1150 in mine including the Fralins. With a bound neck, inlay, very nice flamey top, nitro, Grovers, Fralins, sweet woods - honestly - these rule. Plus, the old Special DC shape is also a verifiable Gibson classic design. Weird that Gibson has cancelled this design, while PRS (which Gibson was clearly trying to compete with by this model in the late 90's) is now going more toward it. The Santana and Mira are both basically PRS versions of the Gibson Les Paul Special/Standard/DC. I guess people only want single cut Les Paul Standards, and don't go for these, and that is why these are such a good price on the used market.

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
My DC is a goldtop Classic:

This baby is a PRS killer. Got mine for $910 - I think it was a killer deal. Sounds great, plays great, is great.

fatherjones.com

Silver Supporting Member
Hamer certainly should get the full credit for taking Gibson's ideas and bringing them either back - or forward - as the case may be. In their case, they took the whole concept of vintage high quality Gibson style guitars back in the late 70s when Gibsons were crap. They also took the 50s LP Special Doublecut concept forward by putting the carved maple top on it - and having that be their signature model. Trouble with Hamer is - either they are vastly expensive in their current incarnation - not that great in their late 80s/early 90s incarnation - or, their original stuff has SUPER teensy neck profiles.

Telecaster62

I loved the way mine played and sounded but it was neck heavy so I sold it. It was that beautiful amber flame that I absolutely love. Bummer.

Trending Topics