Les paul Standard or Custom

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ivan, Mar 2, 2006.

1. ivan

ivan Guest

Hello,

I am new here, I have introduced myself in the introductions thread.

I would like to buy a Gibson Les Paul.
    My problem is that I am not sure about buying the Standard (and which one, "Standard", "Standard Faded" "Limited Edition" or "Premium Plus") or a Custom.
    I have a posibility to buy a used Ebony Custom. I think is 2004 and it is in perfect state, but I do not like Ebony :-(

What do you think about? Are there so many differences between both models? Which one you prefer and why?

Thank you in advance for all your help, and I apologize for my english...
    BR // Ivan

2. WordMan

WordMan Member

Personally I prefer Standards - perhaps the main reasons are I have a lot of experience playing them and know I can get the tones I want out of them. They are also, in my experience, more likely to have a bigger neck - I associated Customs with the 1970's when they typically had much slimmer necks.

I also prefer to see wood grain on my electric guitars - Standards have that and Customs don't.

Bottom line: play a few and see which makes you want to keep playing. Both are wonderful options...

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I agree with the "I don't like ebony"

I find the ebony fretboard makes a big difference in the tone. If you want warm, woodsy tone stay away from ebony.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

R7 is the best value and not much more than a Standard and less than a Custom. Personally, I'd pick a Standard over a Custom.

5. ivan

ivan Guest

Soldano16, about "ebony" I meant that I do not like "ebony look".
    Are you serious about the difference in tone??? I did no know that.

Thank you for yous answers
    Ivan

6. bailnout

bailnout Member

Yea, an ebony fingerboard has more treble response than a rosewood board. Typically, Customs have the ebony fingerboards and the Standards have the rosewood boards. Also, and I'm sure I'll quickly be corrected if I'm mistaken here, Customs usually have maple necks where as Standards typically have mahogany necks. This also give you a major difference in tone. The maple neck also gives more treble to your tone where as the mahogany neck gives a guitar a more rounded and balanced tone.

I say typically be cause it's not a rule that applies 100% of the time. I have a Standard with a maple neck and if the fingerboard isn't Ebony, it sure is a dark piece of rosewood.

The most important thing is to use your ear and find what works best for you tone wise. Once you have figured out what your preference is for wood choices, seek out a Les Paul that has that and still looks good to you.

Good luck!

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Customs don't have maple necks, they have mahogany necks with ebony boards. They also have 490/498 pickups where current standards have Bursbucker Pros. I much prefer the sound of Burstbuckers. Customs do sound different than Standards. They seem a little brighter and harsher which is why I prefer the Standard. Again, and R7 is even better still.

8. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

9. bailnout

bailnout Member

Yea, I knew someone would come along and give more insight on that. I think I may be thinking of Customs from the 70s. I think I got the impression that Customs have maple necks because three of my favorite guitarists play Customs with maple necks and love them for it, Zakk Wylde, John Sykes, and the other guitarist in my band. All of those guitars are from the 70s I believe.

I'm with GCDEF though on the preference of the Standards over the Customs and for the same reasons he gave. I don't know about the R7 though. Can't remember ever playing one.

10. ivan

ivan Guest

Ok That is what I mean. I have explained myself very very bad.
    I'm sorry, I explain it better...
    I have the posibility to buy a used 2004 Custom in perfect state. My money arrives to a new Standard, but in this case both psoibilities cost more or less the same.

The Custom color (of the body) is ebony, I would say black ;-) and I do not like Les Paul blacks. But some friends told me "It's much more better guitar a custom than a Standrad"
    I am not sure of that, I think it depends, and I wanted to know your opinions.

Thanks to this misunderstanding (it was my fault) I have learned a lot.
    But at the begining I thougth I was going crazy...
    Imagine: "guitar body color" -->"different tone guitar" Uf!!!
    Later I understood.

Thank you all of you.
    Ivan

11. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Go R7 or (better yet) R8 (grain!)--same guitars, different colors. Customs IME always seem to be thinner in tone, heavier and don't have quite the resale value if you decide to ever go down that road. Of course, if you find a Custom that you love, snap 'er up!

12. ivan

ivan Guest

Sorry which are R7 or R8 guitars? I do not fid those specs in Gibson page, at least with those "names"..

Ivan

13. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I've had quite a few standards and customs. Each Les Paul is so different(weight, feel, tone) that you have to try a bunch and see what speaks to you.

Personally, I like the feel of the Custom better than the Standard, and I'm sure part of it is the ebony fingerboards.

My faves are 70's models that are frowned upon. Just find 1 you dig, regardless of the model.

R7= 1957 reissue
    R8= 1958 standard reissue

14. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Any of the Custom Shops (with exception to the 59) would be a great deal for the dollar. I have a standard and a 56 reissue goldtop, and my goldtop is just an all around better playing guitar for me, and mine isn't even a nice one in terms of custom shop standards. Don't get me wrong I love my standard, and if it is only between the two guitars you mentioned I would go with the Standard, but if you can get a Custom Shop, the extra cash is certainly worth it.

15. Thwap

Thwap Member

I'd agree on the R7 or R8, hard to beat those for value.

16. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I like my custom, actually its a love hate ... I actual dont mind the tone of it... its the dam controls... my strat is just so much easier for me to work with... you really have to know where all the knobs are at all time, if you flip up to that middle position and the neck volume is way up... it screws yah.... anyhow, mine is an 1980 and it has wood grain as you can see..[​IMG]

17. Unburst

Unburst Member

Like they said, R7 or R8.

18. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I feel kinna stupid, but I'm not familiar with model letter/numbers like R7 R8 I tried to find it on the Gibson site, can't seem to see it there either.
    What am I missing here
    I kinna miss the good ol' days of custom,standard,deluxe

Thx

HJ

19. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

ooops, sorry... I missed that someone addressed this

H

20. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've got both a custom and standard, ones a 90, the other a 91.
    Both are great guitars, but very different.First of all, the stock PU's (498's)in customs suck.They are far too hot and trebly.You get a more compressed flat response from them, not flattering to any kind of playing style, and i don't like the tone either.The 57 classics in my standard sound much better.I swapped to P90's, but anything you put in will be an improvement.
    The Standard is a more organic woody mellow sounding guitar.The 57 classics sound great, nice vintage vibe but you can get modern tones too, nice and responsive, best HB's Gibson make IMO.Unplugged its a very warm mellow sound, not bright or aggressive.Nice comfortable weight and seems to fall into your hand/body for a comfortable play.

The Custom is different entirely.It has a much "bigger" feel, its heavier (heavier tone too) and feels reassuringly robust to me.I love the neck on it, its seems to be a little fatter than the standard neck.Has tonnes of power and sustain.Unplugged its a much clankier punchier brighter sounding guitar, which is why I think the stock PU's suck so much in it, but its got more power and sustain than the standard, so get the right PU's in there and you get huge sustain and a real power and punch to the tone and responsive too. Although its a heavy guitar, I really like the feel of it.