Les Paul Studio Faded Maple Top

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Garage Dog, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

:AOKHey Guys,I am thinking about purchasing one of these from MF.Apparently they have a new batch coming in any day now(supposedly).
    If anyone has seen, played,or knows of anyone who owns one.Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Any pics you may have would be awesome(I don't trust the MF pics)!!!!

Thanks in advance for your input

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...io-Faded-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=513825

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Member

I don't have a "factory faded" Studio, so I can't comment on the appearance, but I rebuilt a Studio carcass with the same specs - it came with the maple-capped mahogany body, after a refin I loaded 490R and 498T pups.

With that body and those pickups, it's a great sounding guitar, if that helps at all.

3. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I just sold a faded "Studio" VM that is a killer sounding and playing guitar.

4. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I have the Maple Top Faded you're asking about. Have had it for about two months and luv the thing. Pure LP tone.

The only thing to be suspicious about is that the guitar may be a return. If it is, and it's a good player, then you can nicely request a discount and they'll probably knock $100 off the price. I got mine on sale for $899 and ended up paying $799 because I could tell someone had played it previously.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

SoCalSteve:Thank You very very much.The pics are awesome.
    I contacted MF and the only model they have coming in is the Vintage Cherry.
    I was interested in getting the Honeyburst but
    your pics make the Vintage Cherry look even more appealing than the MF pics.

Steve do you think the pics on MF is a poor representation of this guitar?????

Thanks again for your input :)

6. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

i like that color....

7. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Yeah, that guitar in the picture is the honeyburst. Even when you click on the Cherrryburst photo it's still Honeyburst.

I also wanted the honeyburst but they were out. After receiving this one, though, I'm very happy with it. I may eventually put creme hardware on it (Jimmy Page style) but I like the black contrast, too.

BTW, I had a Vintage Mahogany previous to this one and much prefer this one. The VM had a more hollow sound to it when tapping on the top whereas the maple top being heavier sounds more solid.

Also the VM had sharp fret ends where this one is nice and smooth. I don't know if that's an individual guitar thing or model to model thing.

8. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

Yeah, that guitar in the picture is the honeyburst. Even when you click on the Cherrryburst photo it's still Honeyburst.
    Sorry I don't understand :confused:

Steve thanks for the heads up on the VM.

The thought has already crossed my mind also about swapping things out to cream parts and hitting it with a coat of McGuires.There is also a very very good chance the pickups will be swapped out this summer also.I am very intrigued by the new SD P-Rails :drool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZhJXcSVnfs

The guitars were suppose to be in yesterday.They claim they will be in today.This could prove to be a very long wait for me.this isn't my first rodeo.I have gone through this crap before with MF and others :jo

9. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I've always been a pickup swapper but I don't have any immediate plans to swap out the stock pickups. I saw a thread at the LP Forum about raising the individual pole pieces on the neck pup and lowering them on the bridge pup and after doing so I'm satisfied. At least for now (I'm sure you know how that goes with gear!)

10. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

the honeyburst looks damn sharp. i'd say these have to sound just like the mahogany ones GC had... maybe a touch brighter. not a bad guitar, but i hope the quality control is better than my old studio from 2000-2001. i'd jump on one if i didn't hate gibson right now... sue crazy bastards.

11. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

i want your budda... bad... wanna trade?

12. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Well, I sold that to another TGP'er a couple of months ago - just too much amp for playing at the house, which is all I'm doing these days. Best sounding amp I've owned though, and would buy another if I played out.

13. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

The quality on mine is really top notch. The nut is cut right - not too deep like most guitars, and nice, smooth fret ends. The maple cap gives it the traditional LP tone we all love.