• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Les Paul Studio or Godin Core?

Bluesidae

I am after a P90 guitar. Have a chance at a Gibson LP Studio with P90's (2011). Have a couple of Godin and a couple of Epiphone. My Godins have been awesome. Never have tried a Gibson Lester. The Gibson and the Godin Core (new) will cost about the same. Any advice?

Thx

Badside

I'd say Gibson.
The Godin Core has insanely bad electronics, to be fair though the P90 is much better than the humbucker version. They are not bad guitars overall, but I feel the price is a bit high compared to how they play and sound. Think of it as if there was a Squier Classic Vibe version of a Les Paul.

Bluesidae

Thx for the heads up. What is the weak link with the electronics? Seymour DUNCAN P90s.... Are you talking about the wiring, pots and switches?

SPROING!

I'd say it depends on whether or not you may ever resell it.
If so, the Gibson holds value way better than the Godin.
But, for me, I like the Godin better. Love their finishes, rolled fretboard edges and their necks are just awesome.

i have 3 Godins (no cores though), however the build on these guitars are just great.
i gig with them often and are just great. I say godin over a studio any day of the week.

Badside

Thx for the heads up. What is the weak link with the electronics? Seymour DUNCAN P90s.... Are you talking about the wiring, pots and switches?
The pots are... horrible. Turning down the volume only muddies the sound.

Godin pickups are notoriously bad, so the P90 version is a god send as it uses Duncan.

I just find Godin guitars to lack soul, generally speaking. Even the cheapest Gibson speak more to me.

Bluesidae

But, for me, I like the Godin better. Love their finishes, rolled fretboard edges and their necks are just awesome.
Agreed, I love the Godin necks!

Badside

^ Interesting point of view... considering you are from the "homeland" of Godin!
I am, my first "real" guitar was a LGX. They make GORGEOUS guitar, but that finish is so thick and hard, it feels like you're playing a piece of plastic.

The Core has a much thinner and better feeling finish though. I was just so turned off by the electronics...
I was dead set of buying one and redoing the electronics, and somehow I yet again bought a Gibson instead. I need that punch in the mids.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Is the Gibson a 60's Tribute? I love mine. Mine is a 2011 as well. Awesome guitar. Can't speak for the Godin, but have always been interested in them.

Old Chomper

Ok,this is coming out of left field......ever try an old Peavey Firenza with the Duncan P-90s?

I played one long ago and still kick myself for not picking it up for the crazy low price.

Hamer US with P-90s would be pretty smokin' too.

Bluesidae

Did some reading on the SD P90's and they get lots of points in the tone department. Core P90 gets good reviews as well. Still wonder about the electronics.

dporto

"The Core has a much thinner and better feeling finish though. I was just so turned off by the electronics..."

How many of these guitars did you actually play? Did they all have bad electronics, or are you just making a generalization based on one guitar you played/owned? I'll take your word that the guitar you played wasn't up to snuff, but there are several plausible explanations besides it "has insanely bad electronics"...which you later changed to "The pots are... horrible. Turning down the volume only muddies the sound" So is it just the pots? What about the Pickups? They're part of the electronics no? Maybe just a bad cap? Maybe you were using a high capacitance wire? Etc...etc...etc...

Flogger59

"The Core has a much thinner and better feeling finish though. I was just so turned off by the electronics..."

How many of these guitars did you actually play? Did they all have bad electronics, or are you just making a generalization based on one guitar you played/owned? I'll take your word that the guitar you played wasn't up to snuff, but there are several plausible explanations besides it "has insanely bad electronics"...which you later changed to "The pots are... horrible. Turning down the volume only muddies the sound" So is it just the pots? What about the Pickups? They're part of the electronics no? Maybe just a bad cap? Maybe you were using a high capacitance wire? Etc...etc...etc...
I would agree with what he says. I've known Godin and his guitars for over 30 years, and have played literally hundreds,if not thousands, in my decades long trip through Eastern Canadian music stores.
He doesn't make a lot that is to my taste, but that's just taste. i find that his electrics, especially, lack a certain tension, or rebound when you play them. They are pretty well put together, and for the money you spend they are a worthwhile value if they speak to you.
But the electronics on electric guitars, wiring, pots, and pickups, are not the best unless he uses an outside source (SD) but that only takes care of one of the three problem areas.

Bluesidae

Thx. Not sure that I understand your post... Electronics are a weak point? Or Godins are not a guitar that you are a fan of? I get likes and dislikes. Just want to stay clear of hardware/electronics that may have issues

+1

Unfortunately Godin is the "Rivera of the guitar world"- Great quality, great sound, great people...but if you're selling *super awful horribly bad* resale. Not fair or deserved, but in my area you're lucky if you get 50% of retail sale price on a Godin (or Rivera) even if in absolutely mint condition.

BillJu

In regards to the electronics, I had a Godin Core with Humbuckers and it had tiny PCB boards as pots.

L0ki

I've had a Godin LG P90 w/ SD P90s (the Core's precursor I think) for several years and it is a great guitar all around, IMO.

If the switch, pots, and wiring ever start bothering me, I'd swap them with something new from a place like StewMac (like my other guitars have gotten). Its cheap and easy if you can solder. and if they are THAT bad....or I get bored and have no other projects to do. If you like the rest of the guitar its not a fatal flaw by any stretch of the imagination.

The resale value? Yeah, great if you are buying!
It is one reason I won't be selling it, the other is that I love it. :love:

Flogger59

Thx. Not sure that I understand your post... Electronics are a weak point? Or Godins are not a guitar that you are a fan of? I get likes and dislikes. Just want to stay clear of hardware/electronics that may have issues
I'm not a fan, though many are. I think that the electronics are a weak point. Roll off the volume a bit, mud. Tone control sweep is sudden and massive.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom