Les Paul Studio refinish - my first burst.

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I bought this guitar from another member here. It was a black LP Studio and had a headstock repair that was aweful - some kind of rubbery glue that failed. Anyway I stripped the guitar, pried the headstock open and washed and scraped all the bad stuff out. Then I epoxied the break and all's well. In the process the Gibson overlay suffered and since it already had some bad dings I sanded it down, epoxied a piece of maple veneer on and shot it in a matching burst. Then I applied my own logo and buried it in clear. I put a generous tummy cut on the back and taped & scraped a natural binding after shooting it with a dark cherry burst - my first. I shaved the neck to a slight V that tapers to a comfy oval and finished if in Tung Oil - really smooth and organic feeling. The finish was a learning experience, but next time will be easier and better. After a fret dressing it's getting a new bone nut, cream trim, Sheptone Tribute PAF's, RS electronics, PIO caps, locking Kluson tuners and locking TOM/STP.

Here's the before:
003.jpg

002.jpg

And here's the after:
MTLP1.JPG

MTLP2.JPG

MTLP3.JPG

MTLP5.JPG

MTLP7.JPG

Last Nerve

There is no magic tone in a decal.
Gold Supporting Member
Looks GREAT!
How much time you put in on all that?

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I have some time in it, but it's all in dribs and drabs like an hour here, fifteen minutes there - finish goes on in steps. The stripping, cleaning the break, carving and sanding was time consuming, but I have the equipment so it's not so bad. I've been working on it every weekday here and there for a couple of weeks. It should be done next week - it would be sooner, but I have some other repairs to do for customers.

trap

Gold Supporting Member
looks like it's up to you're usual impeccable standards mike. i will have to check it out!!:BEER

Samba

Great save. Who would have thought that there'd be such a fine piece of mahogany underneath all that black paint. A nice surprise!

MTLP5.JPG

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
Great to hear such positive feedback - thank you all. In the raw it looked like a really nice plain top which I"m totally cool with, but as soon as finish hit it - the background figure popped out so I thought - "BONUS" :BEER

Dannc6

Any chance you would divulge how you got the binding look on there? Also, what kind of finish did you use?

Your work is very impressive! Well done

Trending Topics

Top Bottom