Les Paul sub-varieties

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fish78, May 4, 2015.

1. fish78

fish78 Member

My poor mind is tilting...we have: Jrs, Jr Specials, LPJs, Specials, Studios...ad infinitum...can somebody give me the cliff notes or a quick primer? Further, I notice GC/Musicians Friend have a LP Special for $499...that is getting into Melody Maker territory...BTW, the 2014 Melody Makers have Les Paul headstock...my head hurts trying to catalog and figure out the nuances...HELP!!

2. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

3. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

My knoweledge is older, so I can't speak for the new models.
    Melody Makers - look kinda like a LP.
    Juniors - Single P-90 rock machines Solid Mahogany
    Specials - 2 P-90 version of the Junior

With Humbuckers
    Studio - many of the components of a Standard
    Deluxe (70's version of the Standard with mini HBs
    Standard - The Standard
    Custom - Ebony Board and triple binding.

Custom Shop - Reissues R9 - figured tops, R8 plain top, R7 Gold Top, R0 - Slim Taper neck.

LPJ, BFG, Semii Hollos, Chambereded, Access, all modify the basics.

Figure out what you want, then what you can afford, look at the prices, then look in the Emporium.

Take your time, research one model, then research another - identify the differences, repeat. You need to know what you want first, then you can figure if you can get what you want and pay a little less.

If you think LP's are tough, try researching a nice Acoustic.

4. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

Along with Tommy's post above...I'd say though one other point. You really need to play the different models to see what works for you. I played a Custom and a Reissue Special against each other a few weeks ago and walked out with the Special. I've always loved the look of the Customs but it wasn't for me (and I never planned on a Special).

5. fish78

fish78 Member

Thanks, that is basically what I am doing...but it seems that even among the sub-varieties there are changes from year to year...the ones that traditionally have a flat top show up with carved arch tops...headstock variations and all sorts of little tweeks...very confusing...I'll save the research on acoustics for a later time...right now, the 499 deal on Specials seems attractive...if its still available when I get the cash together...now, why do double cut specials cost twice as much? Its these kind of things that confuse me.