Les Paul Supreme?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BigDoug1053, Aug 14, 2005.

1. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I have the LP fever. I sold a 76 LP Custom natural finish w/3PU after a divorce in '98 (a rash decision) and have been looking around recently to see what LPs are going for. Sticker shock! Seems that 70's Customs that are in good shape are going in the $2-3K range. Yikes! For that price, I have decided to look for something fancy and flamed out and I have noticed the LP Supremes are very nice looking - a lot like the L5-S in appointments - figured back - uh huh!

I was wondering if any LP users have played or own the Supremes, and what their opinions are. I am NOT interested in vintage anything and really like the way the Customs sound and feel. If I am gonna get a solidbody guitar in the $2-3K range - by god, it better have some nice wood and appointments.

So, what say ye?

Thanks!
    :)

2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I just came here to post on this VERY guitar!

I just had a chance to play one at Victors House of Music in Ridgewood NJ. For anyone who thinks Gibson is not putting out guitars as nice as ANYONE, go check out the LP Supreme they have there. The flame is STUNNING both front and back. The bookmatching is beautiful. The set up, fretwork, and playability are 100% perfection. Most impotantly, the tones are jawdropping as well. The inlay work looked superb too. The hollow chambers make the guitar sound a bit different than a solid LP, so try before you buy one, but it had a great clean and acoustic ring to it. One of the best LPs I have ever played. NICE JOB GIBSON!!! :dude

3. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

+1

As a super-happy LP Supreme owner (I bought mine last year) I can attest to the "supreme" quality & tone of the newest LP design...

Mine is bone-stock & is the first guitar I EVER bought that I think will stay that way!

:cool:

4. BigDoug1053

Yo Tag - you got some outstanding PRS and archtop guitars!

Wow!

5. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I agree with the others who have already posted.

I have played a few Supremes and ALL have been excellent guitars. Definately a slightly different flavor of Les Paul, but definately Les Paul!

Bye the way, I think that the neck profile is PERFECT. It is close to the rounded 50's style on a standard, but seems to be a hair thinner (at least those that I have played - they all felt similar too...Different that many LP's that you play with, for instance 60's necks that can vary greatly)

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've just been looking at getting a Les Paul Supreme also.

How would you say it differed from a standard Les Paul, tone -wise?

The pickups are supposedly a bit hotter than a PAF type, any further comments about the pickups - clean and OD?

Thanks.

7. BigDoug1053

Thanks guys. I made the plunge and am now the proud daddy of a mint rootbeer Les Paul Supreme.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I must say, it is an impressive and beautiful guitar. Fit and finish is superb. The pickups are very hot - I am just beginning to explore the PU volume levels that sound good for different amp settings. The neck is hefty. I am not a LP expert - this neck is bigger than the 76 maple neck custom I used to own - but it is very comfortable - and the gold plated frets actually contribute to a smooth buttery feeling when playing. I was thinking - gold on frets? What's the point? But apparently it contributes to the deluxe playing sensation of this instrument. Weight - it's definitely LIGHTER - chambered mahogany - than I was expecting - but that is good.

Given the much higher prices being charged for LP Customs and reissues (personally, I am not that impressed with a $4K LP standard with less than spectacular flame and cheapo Kluson tuners). I think these are the true LP Customs - they have just gotta be valuable as collecters down the line. Outstanding minty flamey examples are on eBay and they run between $2300 to $2700 BIN. Even at street new, the Supremes are a competively priced and excellent alternative to the PRS beauties (fine guitars, BTW, but 'Only a Gibson is Good Enough' for me).

8. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

The Supreme (like the Custom) comes loaded with 490/98 p/ups. These are the models that used to be in the standard as well. They are a more modern sounding pickup than the 57 Classics and Burstbuckers.

Personally, the pick up choice is the only thing that I would have done differently in the Supreme - That is, to me, the 57 Classics seem tailor-made for semi-hollow / hollow / etc. guitars. I have heard them in ES 175s, 335, etc. and feel that they compliment the sound better than the 490/98 combo...But hey, you can always replace 'em!

9. A440

A440 Supporting Member

mmmm....roooooot beeeeeeeerrrrrrrr :D

AWESOME :AOK

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I agree. The 490/498 is okay, but I like more of a PAF sound. 57 Classics would have been perfect.

That is a sweet finish. I have a 335 the same color. I much prefer single color finishes to bursts on LPs. That one looks really good.

11. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

I have a chambered Elegant with 57 Classics I bought 8 years ago and it is one of my favorite guitars. Beautiful quilt top, ebony fingerboard, abalone inlays, and a sweet, resonant tone. I prefer the maple top/mahogany back and 57 Classics but both the Supreme and Elegant are great guitars.

12. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

BTW, them thar ain't gold plated frets! LOL

They're actually gold-tinted stainless steel frets and will last for a LONG time...

13. BigDoug1053

Thanks for the clarification!

14. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I have a 2003 Supreme in heritage cherry and it's an incredible guitar. I love the sound and feel of it plus it looks killer. My only beef with it is the lack of cavity covers, any mods/repairs or even tightening the volume controls and switch are a royal pain. Other then that it's great and I reach for that guitar more then anyother these days.

Thanks,
    Sam

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I played a new Les Paul Supreme today, that just came in to Guitar Center. I played it through a Fuchs ODS 100 - the snake skin one that apparently was used by KWS + matching 2-12 with EVs.

It sounded really nice - the Les Paul, that is - and the amp too, of course. A great combination, and I cranked it in the private playing room. The guitar is a beautiful work of art for sure - which I prefer - heritage cherry sunburst, nice flames. The neck was just right - not too big, a nice round feel, very comfortable in my hands. The frets are nice and smooth. The weight was solid, but not heavy.

The clean tones were smooth, rich, round, full, fat, etc, and the OD tones were great through the Fuchs - singing, smooth, fat. It didn't clean up so well, even with the volume around 3-4, it still had a bit of grit with the OD on. Perhaps that's the result of the hotter pickups. If I get one, I was planning to put some WCR Crossroads in it, but I'll certainly wait to see/hear how the stock pickups sound for a while.

Then I played a Les Paul 68 model - tobacco sunburst, flame top, gold hardware. I could tell the difference between the chambered Supreme body and the solid 68 body. I'm not sure if they had the same pickups, so that factor is unknown. But the 68's tones were tighter and more focused, not as round as the Supreme. In that particular quick taste test, I preferred the Supreme's tones.

It's definitely a fantastic variation on a standard Les Paul, with the chambered body, stainless steel, gold tinted frets, Ebony fretboard, and flame front/back - great if you're a flame freak (like me). I have a custom Les Paul (made by Lee Garver of GMW), that has the standard mahogany body, flame maple top, Rosewood fretboard, so I've got that tonal zone covered. We'll see how the pickups work with my setup.

I think I'll get one soon for sure. Hard to resist.

:D

16. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

My Les Paul Supreme arrived today!!!! I was expecting it Monday, but Fedex surprised me!!!

WOW!!! What a beautiful guitar! Here's a link to some pictures where it was hanging in the store, so you can see what it looks like. It's less red looking in person - more burgundy, which I prefer...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tom888x/detail?.dir=/bdf3&.dnm=9a2d.jpg&.src=ph

It feels and plays like a dream. Smooth, round tones - you can really hear what the chambered body does, vs a solid body, and I love it. :D The pickups are definitely hotter, so I lowered them a tad, and that really made a nice difference - they're a bit more tame now. The middle switch setting isn't quite as honky sweet as PAF type pickups, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the pickups vs the chambered body.

I'll have to put on a new set of SOS Rock Formula strings - the strings are not so bright. But the tones are very sweet, and OD with the bridge pickup is very chewy and singing - just the right amount of edge without being harsh.

I'll live with these pickups for a while before I change them for WCR Crossroads (have to sell some gear to pay for them anyway).

17. BigDoug1053

Congrats, Ron. That's a real beauty. I am really enjoying my LPS, and I think it's a great instrument.

18. clunk

clunk Member

I own an ebony LP supreme i bought about 6 months ago. The workmanship on it is great. Gibson took the best aspects of previous LP's and put them all into the supreme and then some (7 ply binding, gold hardware, split block inlays, brass truss rod cover etc.) Very sharp looking guitar. The action, intonation, playability is perfect on mine. I like the fact that they added the tone chambers in it as well. Takes a little weight off of the shoulders and gives it a bit more of a rounder sound while still retaining the LP sustain the LP's have always been known for. Although its still a little heavy. Afterall it's still a LP.
    The only thing with it is im personally not the biggest fan of the 498T and 490R pickups in it. I'll probably try some Seth's in this one when i get around to it.
    Does anyone know if these are infact a limited production model? From what i understand they only built 2003 or 2004 models for whatever year they started production on them. However i still see this model advertised on their website. Makes me wonder if they are still trying to clear remaining models or if they are continuing production on these.

Clunk

19. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

When I first played mine, I also thought the pickups were too hot, so I lowered them - twice now - and they actually sound quite nice - not as overbearing when playing clean, yet still powerful when using OD. Try it and see what you think. If I do decide to change them, I'll be getting WCR Crossroads, and installing an RS wiring kit with push/pull Tone pots for going single coil, which will make it even more versatile.

I really love the ebony neck and the frets - it's so smooth and buttery when playing and bending - very liquid like action. I just changed the strings to a set of SOS Rock Formula - 9.5-11.5-16-26-36-46, and there was an immediate improvement. The Gibson Brite Wires were anything but that, and the SOS have a beautiful resonance even when playing acoustically.

The tones are something else - you can really tell how the chambered body makes a difference - the notes are more open and airy, but still focused. It has great sustain.

Since they're still on the Gibson site, one would assume that they're still in production, but I can't say for sure.

I'm really loving this guitar, and it's definitely one of my all time favorites.

20. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Well, it appears Gibson extended the "limited production" at least another year, I've seen 2005 serial numbers out there, although the few I have seen seem to be lesser in quality than the 2003-2004 LP Supremes I've played...

In fact, the last one I checked-out at the Paramus NJ GC was a tone-dog and not even close to the stellar quality/tone of my 2004...

Definately have to check-out ALL Gibson stuff hands-on, I've also seen some 2005 H&A CS RIs that were dogs lately as well...

I think something at Gibson is starting to stink REAL BAD! :confused: