1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Les Paul: That metal plate inside the control cavity

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jtwang, Jun 10, 2008.

1. jtwang

jtwang Member

The mounting plate inside the control cavity of my Gibson LP is a mess. Some previous owner did a toggle switch mod and basically cut out 1/3 of the plate (he cut a piece out of the inside of the maple top too). It's not a pretty sight.

I've googled for replacement mounting plates but haven't found any. If any of you where to get these, it'd be much appreciated.

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Would copper foil tape help?

3. jtwang

jtwang Member

You mean mounting the pots directly to the top of the guitar? Good idea, I never thought of that. I guess it'd make things look a little tidier.

4. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Put that plastic cover thing back on. Quit looking in there! :)

Use some washers between the pots and the underside of the top so they don't stick out too far.

5. jtwang

jtwang Member

That's a pretty good suggestion. :) I'll mount the pots directly to the top - the pot covers most of the damaged wood in the top anyway. Thanks guys.

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

That plate also serves as a ground plate - you'll have to solder a ground wire from pot to pot and ground the bridge and switch to a pot as well.

7. rcl

rcl Member

That plate just adds more to the weight. A simple ground wire is much lighter, and the way they did it back in the day. None of my LPs have it.