Les Paul + Tom Andersons = Tone Monster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Dec 20, 2009.

1. james...

james... Supporting Member

When I told Tom I wanted to put an H3+ and an H1- in my Les Paul Classic, even he was sort of skeptical: "Yeah I've put some of mine in an lp before but that combo will be really really dark. I mean really dark. Almost muddy perhaps.

But I did it anyway. And ohhhh so glad I did.

[​IMG]

Yeah it's dark. NOT muddy though. This thing delivers 70's through modern tones in spades. Sounds great for EVERYTHING. Led Zep? Nails it. High gain? Nails that too. Pop rock? KILLS IT.

The neck pickup has THE BEST cleans I have ever heard through a MAZ 38. I kid you not. The most lush cleans of all time.

The bridge pickup can do high gain, but hit it with a lower gain setting... Turns into an old PAF. Ridiculous.

And the coil split tones? Sounds like a quacking strat. Simply stellar.

I'm just shocked at the awesomeness of this combo.

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Simply the best "split-able" pickups I've ever used. I've put them in a few guitars and currently have two Andys.

3. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I put an H2+ in the bridge of my old LP Custom and loved it.

4. JJ321

JJ321 Supporting Member

Billy Howerdell fan??

I had an H3 and an H1- in my LP for a while and loved the combo. Both were great sounding pickups.

5. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Tom makes some really good pickups. Tempted to put some of those smooth nickel covered jobbys in my LP.

6. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I've had these in my V for quite a while...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. james...

Yes I am.

This guitar kinda stands on its own though. Yeah it does the APC thing but that's maybe 1 out of 20 tricks it can do.

8. DC1

DC1 Member

H2 in the bridge for me...

GREAT tone.

dc

9. rooster

rooster Member

Is that a Moonstone?

rooster.

10. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Yeah. I've got three (the V and two Vulcans). The V is a 70's construct that I've had for years (that's a real authentic Bazillion Rosewood fretboard, BTW). Found it at Valley Arts back when the boys were just getting into building their own strats. The Tom Andersons replaced SD Invaders. Still have those in the accessory pocket. Trem is solid brass.

11. JJ321

JJ321 Supporting Member

Me too...I've been looking for a good deal on one of those cinnaburst LP Classics for a while now, but I rarely see them pop up. It's probably my favorite finish on an LP.

12. james...

I see them on ebay about once every couple of months. The prices are all over the place.

I was pretty fortunate the get mine for about $1200. Bought it from Justice Guitars. Good store.

13. sp1keNARF

sp1keNARF Member

i have this combo in my esp eclipse II (lp shape, mahogany neck/body), and the h1- is EXTREMELY dark. it sounds great on it's own, but when i play with a band it's almost inaudible. i have the height adjusted properly, 1/16" from the string with the 22nd fret depressed.

am i doing something wrong?

14. james...

Probably not. (how many pickups have you wired?)

I don't want this to sound elitist because I don't mean it that way at all. But I think that putting these pickups in a Les Paul is a bad idea unless you REALLY know what you're doing. (tone wise)

The fact is, you are putting one of the darkest pickups in production into one of the darkest guitars of all time. The sound is going to be....DARK!

95% of people with common sense will tell you that this is a dumb thing to do. It's just overkill. And 95% of the time...it is. But it's all in the way you use it.

I play this guitar through very BRIGHT amps. Matchless, Marshall, and pretty much anything with EL34's that is bright. That's how I control it. You won't catch me playing this guitar with anything 6L6. You have to use bright amps with it.

I will admit, I have a lot of guitars and this one is BY FAR the hardest to get dialed with an amp. But when you do...you can get stuff like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfnZ8Elykh8&feature=related

15. javoooh

javoooh Member

hey guys! I'm from argentina, I still can't find Tom Andersons pickups in here :mad: , So... which Seymour Duncan or Gibson humbucker could replace the HB3+ model??

I really like Billys sound.

PD: sorry about my poor english. :beer

regards from Argentina!!

16. tnt365

tnt365 Member

How would you guys compare these to Gibson 57's or SD Ant's or Seth's or Dimarzio 36th anniv?

17. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

I use a similar pickup combo (H3+ and H1) and love it. Currently in my #1 player.

18. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Supporting Member

Worlds apart. In all seriousness, They are darker and hotter but still clear and hifi. I have the H3 in the bridge of my SG. It's good but I think it would work better in an LP-thick instrument.

19. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

James- always nice to herar a happy tone result.

Also - you might want to try a switch that bypasses the tone control or even the volume and tone control to get a bit more out of them since you're mostly controlling the tone at the amp.

I know you really like them now, just maybe you'll be able to use more amps with them with similar results.

20. Felix Leclerc

Felix Leclerc Member

I have an H2+ in the bridge slot of my SC245.

Impeccable.