• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Les Paul Tonal Differences among models

simpl

I'm in the market for a Les Paul and I was wondering what the actual differences were between say a Les Paul Traditional, current Les Paul Standard, and a Historic.

For example, I'd be interested if you guys believed a historic would actually be worth almost a grand more than a Standard/traditional.

halcyon

I've had a couple standards and one historic. Now I have no standards and one historic. Granted, it could be the sample population, but I do believe the historics are of higher quality in general.

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
I would agree that in general the Historic series LP are of higher quality. That said, I own a 2002 LP Standard that can hang with any Historic. I had to play quite a few Standards to find this one. There are good and not quite so good guitars in both the standard production and Historic series. But I believe good Historics are more the rule and not the exception.

GulfportBound

I have a 2007 Classic Antique with a slight tonal difference---thanks to the weight relief (not full chambering)---from my two historics. (R6, R9, in the order I acquired them.) It's still a wonderful guitar and serves me just as well as the two Historics.

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
I'm in the market for a Les Paul and I was wondering what the actual differences were between say a Les Paul Traditional, current Les Paul Standard, and a Historic.

For example, I'd be interested if you guys believed a historic would actually be worth almost a grand more than a Standard/traditional.
Yes. A historic is definitely worth a grand more. They feel so much better and different to me than regular USA Gibsons. I think that the electronics and the hardware, even the finish and woods are on a much different level. Really you just have to play a bunch and get a feel. I can really feel and hear the difference in quality, but many people are just fine with their standard USA les pauls. I'll take my Historics.

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
the best and lightest mahogany, and the best (visual) quality maple all go to the custom shop. The bb1/2/3 are potted. Additionally, more attention to detail and more handwork are involved. That would typically lead to more appealing and better sounding guitars, but that's no guarantee.

simpl

Dammit. Now I'll feel somewhat guilty if I get anything other than a Historic. Selling my SG should cover.... less than one fourth of the cost :(

el nino

i have 2002 custom shop les paul 58 reissue with burstbuckers 1 & 2.it's stock except i put bone nut a couple of days ago for tuning stability and intonation.also i have 2009 les paul traditional with 57 classic pups and it's fantastic guitar and hangs with custom shop no problem.

only difference (and it's mostly the pups) is that trad sounds more modern fatter sounding as 58 custom shop sounds more vintage old school with a lot more snapiness in the sound,but also cleans much better then trad (it has 500k volume pots,trad doesn't).

those are the main differences in the sound,both guitars have baseball necks (trad is slightly more wider) and thats about it.

but if you found a good les paul,it's a guitar for life.

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
Dammit. Now I'll feel somewhat guilty if I get anything other than a Historic. Selling my SG should cover.... less than one fourth of the cost :(
I wouldn't feel guilty about it. Try as many as you can and get the one that speaks to you and is comfortable to play. Historic or not. I have owned a Historic Gold Top as well as my Standard. I no longer own the Gold Top due to it's weight, 9+ pounds. They are both great guitars just slightly different variations on a classic sound. Here's my Standard

Trending Topics

Top Bottom