Les Paul Trad Pro II: now with Floyd Rose!

B Money

Anybody have information about this new Traditional "Floyd rose" model?

I noticed it in the new Guitar Center sales flyer that came in the mail a couple of days ago. Other than this Youtube vid, I haven't found any more info about it. It's not on the Gibson or Guitar Center website.
What I want to know is; what's the neck shape? Hopefully its got the 50s neck, at least as an option. I assume in most ways it similar to a regular Trad model, although you can see in the vid that the neck angle is reduced to allow the Floyd to sit in the body instead of on top. A very nice touch.

I don't really care too much about active boost, but the coil splitting could be useful.

Devin

Low Voltage
I love how he says "perfectly in tune"

and also.... HE NEVER TOUCHES IT ONCE.

B Money

I think the dude doing the talking was not the same dude actually playing it. I can't understand why he never demonstrated the trem, since it's the most significant difference from a normal Les Paul Traditional. Anyway...

I also find it highly ironic that a Les Paul "Traditional" has a Floyd on it, but whatever...I don't care what they call it, I just want some more pics/info about it. It pretty much checks all the boxes for what I want in a LP, although the Axcess-style neck heel would be welcome.

B Money

I just don't understand why people like them, or how salespeople pitch them... would you like to make your guitar infinitely more difficult to string and tune?
"infinitely" is a bit dramatic. I started playing guitar in the 80s when Floyds were the standard bridge on many, many guitars. I grew up with them and they are no big deal at all to me. The benefit far outweight the drawbacks in my book.
I'm not what you'd call a nuanced player; I want to tasteless whammy high-gain & delay drenched divebombs and outrageous squeelly pinch harmonics. I get great joy from dumping the bar at the end of a song and then letting it back up slowly, dramatically. Extra cheese is my style. For that, a Floyd is basically required.

I happen to really like Les Pauls, AND Floyd Rose trems and this guitar combines them. I thought this thread might bring out the LP purists, and that's ok. I'm sure Gibson has no plans to stop making R9's any time soon.:D

Schafrocks

I just don't understand why people like them, or how salespeople pitch them... would you like to make your guitar infinitely more difficult to string and tune?
This comment really interesting to me considering if you do it right, putting strings on and tuning takes maybe 10 minutes longer than a standard bridge. Obviously your playing doesn't require one. Contrary to popular belief, putting strings on a FR equipped guitar is neither difficult nor time consuming.

Once set up properly, they will stay in tune better than a guitar with a standard nut and bridge. And another thing, people will say how a guitar with a floyd Rose will sound thin. They will sound different but it won't be thin because of the Floyd. I have an old Kramer and it's as fat sounding as my Les Paul.

If I had a LP with a floyd, I probably wouldn't play anything else with a few exceptions.

I wonder what the neck is like. They did that studio but it had the 50's neck. personally, I like the 60's neck

ixnay

Doesn't take me any longer to string and tune my floyd guitars than it does to string and tune a hard tail. I guess if you don't know what you're doing it could seem a little daunting, but it certainly isn't brain surgery...

B Money

If I had a LP with a floyd, I probably wouldn't play anything else with a few exceptions.

I wonder what the neck is like. They did that studio but it had the 50's neck. personally, I like the 60's neck
ha! I want the 50's neck. May seem strange to want a bigger neck on a Floyd'd guitar, but hey thats what i like.

If I can find one of these and I like it, my beloved Wolfgang could be in trouble.

Trending Topics