Les Paul Traditional Pro - bright

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ibenhad, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ibenhad

ibenhad Member

When I put a DMM across the outer leads on the stock push/pull it reads nothing and the inner and 1 outer leg it reads like 8ohms. Both volumes do it. How would I put a resistor across the 2 outer legs to make the pot 300K? I have done it with a stock 500k pot but these push/pulls are weird. I don't want to change the stock pot. Any other ideas on making this axe less bright?

2. nac

nac Member

Personally, I'd ditch the 300k pots. I dont like them. I find that you get a bigger, fuller sound from 500k's.

Having said that, I dont know but I'm sure someone around here will be able to help you out. :)

3. ibenhad

ibenhad Member

4. Honk

Honk Member

I think he speed-read your post. :)

I'm not good enough with the internals of push/pulls to say where your resistor needs to go, but I do know that a bright Les Paul is a good problem to have.

5. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Amen, much easier to turn down the tone knob than turn one up that's already on ten and still not bright enough. I've been told by a Gibson authorized tech that all Les Pauls have 500k pots, even the Norlin ones. I'm pretty sure that's not true. I played a traditional and thought it sounded great. I know it's not what the OP is asking for but I'd try changing something else in the chain-amp settings, etc, before I'd try to darken a Les Paul.

6. ibenhad

ibenhad Member

It's not mine it's a friends and he has a class 5 and this Traditional Pro. The class 5 has bottom and sounds great. The Traditional sounds anemic in comparison. I have 5 standards from 82 - 2003 and all different kinds of pickups. His def sounds weak and twangy. The guitar plays great but he needs more meat. Seriously it is a Les Paul where is the beef. Interesting enough his class 5 is chambered and the Traditional Pro is weight relieved.

Help... The guitar is going on evilbay if we can't fatten it up.

7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Could it be the amp? The class 5 is a Marshall isn't it? If so, my experience tells me that Marshalls are bright sounding and the highs are shrill and hard to tame. If possible have your friend try his guitar thru a nice tube Fender amp before making any wiring changes.

8. Honk

Honk Member

Sounds like it could be a 'primary tone' issue. I'd want to know if it was thin sounding unplugged, which would point at a whole different set of tweaks.

9. Kzin

Kzin Member

I find my trad pro to be bright to. I´m thinking about changng the bridge pup, maybe change the pots and put covers on the pups. It does sound bright unplugged to though.

10. JacieFB

JacieFB Member

Interesting "get out of my head" post. I own a class 5 and have also been wanting a Trad Pro Goldtop. Also interesting that someone mentioned putting covers on the pups. I was thinking of doing this immediately, as I find that look more appropriate.

Carry on.

11. David Garner

David Garner Member

Could be a setup issue. If my Fenders are set up wrong, they just sound dead as all get out, but properly set up they ring like bells.

12. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

Ya know I had push pull pots on a LP of mine. Thought I could get a single coil sound, Na no such thing I just got a weaker sounding Humbucker. Besides that I think you louse allot of output all together.
    I'd can the push pull pots like I did......one trick pony is not worth it.

13. Rodgibbydc

Rodgibbydc Member

Use the tone knob... The single coil brightness on the coil tap is what makes it so versatile as a guitar... I want one badly!!

14. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

Check the pickup height and make sure they are adjusted properly. Doesn't cost anything but a little time to experiment with different heights...

15. ibenhad

ibenhad Member

Thanks guys. There is no Marshall Class 5 involved that is a Les Paul class 5. I changed the pot to a regular old 500K and put a 1 meg resistor across the outer leads made it almost 300K. Sounds more like my '82 LP STD which I installed Burstbuckers in. The Traditional Pro is def. a bright guitar even unplugged. Very chimey and maybe not in a good way.

16. JTJ

JTJ Supporting Member

So is the coil tap gone now, or did you use a split pot?

17. Kzin

Kzin Member

I have been having this feeling about mine for a year now. I´m thinking about selling it. I haven´t tried it in a band setting yet though.

I wonder how come it is bright, its still mahogny and maple. Maybe the thinner neck?