• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Les Paul Tribute 60's pickups

thetourist

Gibson Les Paul Tribute 60s are great guitars.
I played four before buying, and three of them sounded good.

I have the honeyburst and it looks nice with its natural body binding. I actually prefer it over new pinkish binding of the Standards. :)

However there are few problems regarding those P90s.
First, I am no sure that I like P90 neck pickup - possibly it's too bassy and muddy. I lowered it and it solved the bass problem. Now I decided to give it more playing time in the band.
Anyway I consider putting a mini-humbucker in the neck, and the good news is that this guitar is mini-humbucker friendly. The pickup mounting plate has also holes in the sides were minis can be mounted.

Second, I didn't like that the bridge P90 was pushing in when I put my hand on it. What I found out in one of Les Paul forums was to use the following rubber-like material under the pickup.
http://www.softnsafefloors.com/soft toys.htm

It solved the problem.

I hope this will help others to do these easy mods and enjoy even more these great guitars.
Cheers! :beer

macula56

Gold Supporting Member
mini humbuckers sound great on these guitars. i put a set of Duncans in one and it turned into an excellent sounding axe.

EtaCarinae

To be honest, P-90's are my favorite neck pickup for anthing besides very heavy metal. My Les Paul has P-Rails in it, and the clarity on the pickup is exceptioinal using the P-90. It manages to sound warm while still retaining some good top end chime - and it makes a very good clean sound. To be fair, I tend to play my cleans through Vox type amps - perhaps it would sound darker or less distinct in a different amp.

Telecaster62

I love Minis! A Les Paul with mini humbuckers is the most versatile and best all around electric guitar on the planet. Clarity and cut like a single coil with the meat of a bucker when you need it. Perfect.

datsun

I'm still undecided on the neck pickup.

I replaced the bridge with a Dimarzio DP154 and have been happy so far.

Trending Topics