Les Paul Tribute series

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by philamag87, Jan 29, 2012.

1. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

Looking at the 50's and 60's tributes. Anyone prefer one over the other? I'm interested in the P-90 sound. Any thoughts on the 50's tribute with the humbuckers?

2. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

If you want P90s then get a guitar with P90s. The P90s in the 60s are pretty good, but a little hotter than most are used to. The 50s with the humbuckers (I believe they're burstbuckers, but I'm probably wrong) will pretty much sound like every other LP with burstbuckers. The neck on the 60s will be thinner than the 50s, but that's a completely subjective preference.

I knows this is a canned response, but your best bet is to play them both. Or at least play a 60s and a 50s neck on other models to see which you prefer. Good luck with your search. I just bought a 60s tribute from the emporium which should be here tomorrow. Can't wait!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

I thought they both had P90's? in fact, I think they're pretty much identical with the exception of the 50's version having a slightly thicker neck.

4. snacker

snacker Member

I have one of the limited edition 50s tributes with p90s and it is an awesome sounding and playing guitar - I'd highly recommend one of those - I tried one of the new 60s tribute ones and was not impressed - fit and finish were sub-par - sounded ok

5. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

These guitars have many variations. Some will sound fabulous, while others...meh...

I had a 50's tribute that buzzed and hummed like crazy. I now have a 60's tribute with P90's and the baked maple 60's neck. It is the best sounding guitar I own.

The point is, you have to play individual guitars to find the gem. There are somne out there. As far as the finish, the 50's were "pre-worn" while the 60's are not. They will all easily scratch and wear. That's why they are only $849. I feel like they are one of the best bargains out there.

6. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

Hello Music just sold out of the 60's version a little while ago. They were priced at $700.
    If you decide on a 60's you might want to watch that site for the next several days. If they get some cancellations the ad will come up again

7. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Wildwood have got a select number of the 50' Tributes with both the P90's and the Humbuckers. Then they also have a select few of the 60's Tributes with P90's

Want a Tribute 60 with 'Buckers, you got to go looking for one of the limited edition 60' Deluxes.

Got my 60 Tribute a month back here in Australia. Just managed to track down a limited Deluxe 60 with Hum B's.

If you look hard enough you can find them.

Check out SweetWater , then if unsatisfied PM us and I'll try and find the old links.

Great guitar the Tribute 60. Looking forward to the next.

8. slogger

slogger Member

I bought a 60s Goldtop from Sweetwater. It is now my number 1 guitar. It sounds awesome.

9. jcv

jcv Member

I have a 60's Tribute and I love it. It was my first Gibson and it totally made me a Les Paul guy. Sadly, I can't play it a lot these days... my only gig right now is playing in the house band at a local joint and place has really wacky power problems. The hum with p90's is literally like laying on the horn in your car... even when I'm playing the thing :( . At home or at other joints the hum isn't bad at all.

they're great guitars. go for it!

10. philamag87

Unfortunately the only Gibson dealer in Maine right now is Guitar Center and they didn't have any of the LP Tributes in stock. I did play one months ago but I don't remember which model it was but I was surprised at the sound, in a good way! I know the P-90's can hum the like hell. I think there is a winder the makes humless P-90's somewhere on the web. I think you can buy a pedal to reduce some of the hum as well.

As far as neck profile goes I was curious about the 50's thickness. I have a 61 RI SG that's got the 60's slim taper. I had an SG Standard that I think had the 50's style neck or was thicker than the 60's slim taper.

11. philamag87

Well I pulled the trigger and found a 60's Tribute in worn honey burst, rosewood fretboard and non-dark back on Amazon for $849. Paid for the 2 day shipping so I should have it Wednesday. I figure if I get it and don't like it I can always return it.

12. SFW

SFW Member

Love my 60s Honeyburst. It really comes down to which neck profile you want.

[​IMG]

13. philamag87

Damn that's sexy!!! I figure I like my 61 RI SG neck so the 60's LPT neck should be fine!

14. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Always wanted a Goldtop with P-90s, so I bought a '60's LP Tribute. It turned out to be a complete turd. The neck wouldn't stay straight for five minutes, something was loose rattling around inside, and the fret buzz was intolerable no matter what my tech did to it. I sent it back to Gibson and they gave me a new gutar-a Pelham Blue LP Junior-no questions asked.

I'm sure that 90% of them are good guitars. I just happened to get the bad apple. And I still want a Goldtop with P-90s, but next time, I'm going to buy an Agile for a fraction of the price of a Gibson. Rondo Kurt is bringing back that single pickup Goldtop soon and I'm pulling the trigger on one.

15. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

When I looked at Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls the 58 RI neck was like a baseball bat. I ended up buying a Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls 60 RI because of the smaller neck profile. I have 50's tribute and the neck profile is perfect. It is not too big or uncomfortable at all. It is comfortable to play because it is chambered and the P-90s sound really nice.

BTW, Musicians Friend has 60's Tributes in two versions. One is the original 60's Tributes.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...n-les-paul-studio-60s-tribute-electric-guitar
    The other is the darkback version.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...60s-tribute-electric-guitar-with-p-90-pickups

[​IMG]

16. philamag87

I would've love to try out the 50's neck but they are hard to find. I've seen some on ebay. I didn't want one with the dark back.

17. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

the 60's honeyburst is a real winner. take that pickguard off and she's damn sexy.

18. philamag87

I 100% agree with you!!! Even with the pickguard I think she's still sexy!

19. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have one of each and the only difference to me is the neck profile. Thicker on the 50's, but not terribly thin on the 60's in fact it feels quite comfy.

20. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

I just unpacked my "new" LP 60s tribute gold top. Purchased it on the emporium. Previous owner had a nice setup on it as well.

It's a "light back" with a rosewood board. Looks killer and plays very nicely. Can't wait to plug it in tonight.

When did they make the switch to dark backs with maple boards on the 60 tributes?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012