Les Paul Trouble

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by S.A.M., Aug 28, 2006.

1. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I bought a 2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard (used) last year from Elderly Music. Its been great up until about a month ago, when I started to get some buzzing (fret) on my low E string (even open E). Before this I had no issues at all. We had some hot, humid weather for about 2 weeks. So I took it to our only authorized Gibson dealer for a set up. After taking it there 3 times (they had it 2 weeks this last time) over this past month they inform me that their is no more relief left in the neck, and there is nothing they can do to get rid of the buzzing. I'm kind of at a loss right now. I've got a $2000 guitar that I can't really play, and the only authorized dealer says it can't be fixed ( I find this really hard to believe). Can you recommend a course of action for me?

I emailed this to Gibson Customer Service. Lets see if I get a reply.

Should I take it to another store. Really ****** living in kind of an isolated area, with no great techs (that I'm aware of).

2. brad347

brad347 Member

did you leave it in a really hot area like a car trunk?

Sounds like your neck needs to be ironed out on a heat press. Make sure you get some references for the tech you get to do this. It will cost 75-100 bucks probably.

3. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Perhaps the green wood they used is curing with a curve, an experience I enjoyed with the last Gibson I will ever own.

4. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

My advice would be to get a second opinion. Just because a store moves enough product to hold Dealer status, it does not mean they are the best person to repair the product. Not saying that your dealer is incompitent, but the best luthiers are usually self employed. I know this is an issue because of your location, hopefully you'll find someone within reasonable driving distance.

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Sounds like the nut is too low. Definitly look into a 2nd opinion.

HOWEVER,....I have a friend that had his beloved R8 develop a high spot that could not be dialed out.
    Gibson trashed it and sent him a new one.

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

If there is no structural problem with the guitar, I would suggest...

Pee Ell Eeee Kayyy

M.E.

7. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Does sound like it could be a nut problem. It was with mine and I had a similar issue with my LPS. If I was you I would try to find an independent tech who really knows his stuff. Good luck.

8. lchender

lchender Member

I had a smiliar issue with a 2001 Les Paul Standard I owned before. Have a competent tech check out that the low E nut slot isn't cut too low. You might also want to check that your frets are level, but if it's buzzing on open low E, that sounds more like a low nut slot. If it is the nut, you may even want to consider having a good tech make a bone nut for you as it will be more durable and would likely be an improvement. (You're using .010s or heavier, right?) Good luck.

9. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

Try relaxing tension of the rod , site down the neck if it looks ok, try cranking up the thumb weels on the ARB brige a bit, also you could ask for a new nut replacment.

some buzz is ok for super low action...

10. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

If you're out in the sticks somewhere, it might be worthwhile to ship it to a great tech, preferably one with a Plek machine. Gary Brawer in San Francisco will get it dead perfect for you. I don't know where you live so there might be somebody just as good who's closer.

BTW, I totally agree with what some others said about the dealer. They may be good with maintenance/repair and they may not. Before I found Brawer, I went through some awful experiences with a couple of people who were complete and total frauds. They were in no way qualified to work on guitars. Ya gotta be careful.

11. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Can you hear the buzz through the amp?

12. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Thanks for the advice. My guitar was always kept in the case, and I kept it in the basement. I figured the basement is a more consistant temperature/humidity. One day before a gig I was tuning up and it was buzzing like crazy. One of my first thoughts was the nut slot could be worn down. I guess I'll bring it to another place. Seems like I'm weeding out the bad techs. I brought another guitar to a different tech (on recommendation) and wasn't really happy with the results. Just the other day I was told about a local luthier, I'll try to get his contact info.

13. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

In the basement? Hmmmmm...

14. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Sounds like you are in Michigan. Call Tom Pellerito @ (734) 485-9550.

He is in the Ypsilanti/Salem Township area. Probably the best second opinion you'll get.

15. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Actually I'm in Thunder Bay ON, Canada.

16. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

The reason I moved it to the basement was that one day I opened my case for my other Les Paul (Studio) and it looked like it was really sweating:confused: . THeir was moisture on the body. So I thought I would move it to a cooler, more consistant place. My basement didn't really feel damp (unlike last year).

17. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

Hey S.A.M.

If the guitar is kept in the basement, then you may have too much moisture affecting the guitar- do you have a hygrometer of any kind to check the relative humidity??? Basements may keep the temperature consistent, but...they (especially if you run any kind of forced air AC in the house) get REALLY humid in the summer months......I keep my relative humidity around 50% in the basement- to do this, I use a humidfier in the winter and a de-humidifier in the summer- my guitars have been sooooo much happier since I've kept things at a "regular" relative humidity. Hygrometers can be had for cheap- and believe me, they are WELL worth the money.

I bought my first LP back in '86- the neck did the same thing (or so the local music shop that conned me out of it says)- but that's another story.......hope yours ends up a happy one!!! Good luck bro!

RG

18. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

if you want to ship it, there is a guy in waycross, ga named ronnie griffin who builds incredible guitars and has done several setups for me that are great. i think his website is ronniegriffinguitars

good luck

19. Miles

Miles Member

Good point.

If it buzzes when it's played open, it really sounds like a nut issue, I had to tweak the same problem on my RD, they just put a small piece of wood that fit well under the nut to give it a subtle lift. In which case, your luthier has no idea what he's doing.

20. tone4days

tone4days Member

you could send it to any number of really good techs .. dan erlewine, orkie, phil jacoby

they'd get you sorted and could determine if your investment can be returned to functioning condition

good luck
    t4d