Les Paul users: bridge PU for rhythm, Neck PU for lead?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by heavysoul, Jul 16, 2008.

1. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

in a rock setting, do you guys find that you use the bridge pickup for chord work and the neck pickup for lead?

Despite it's original purpose—neck for rhythm and bridge for lead, i find that the neck PU for chords can get lost in the mix.

2. AtomEve

AtomEve Member

To me the neck pickup sounds the best but doesn't cut through in a full band setting. The bridge pup cuts through the din everytime. But in a three piece for example the neck pup has a better chance. Depends on which sonic pockets are available.

Bryan

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

That's pretty much how I do it...

4. SFK

SFK Member

In a rock setting (ie most of the time) I use the bridge PU for Both Rythym and Lead. Switching to the neck for the occasional lead or quiet pretty rythym.

I guess that's why I like My LP Jr so much.

Blues is a different story.

5. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the 'both' setting, and I set the relative amounts of each with the volume knobs. Usually bridge on 10, rhythm on 6-7. Switch to bridge for leads most of the time, but I like to roll off the tone knob and crank the neck pickup sometimes (woman tone).

6. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I actually like the bridge pickup for rhythm, turned down to about 8. You can play softly or make stabs; sounds great.

The neck PU, which is naturally louder than the bridge, works great for leads. I don't play with singing distortion, but with a pretty clean sound I get a lot of fatness.

To me, Gibsons are harder than a Tele or Strat to find an easy place in the mix. You kinda have to work as a whole band to make sure that they have their own sonic territory.

7. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

To me it's more about the texture I'm going for rather than lead vs chord work.

There's room for all 3 positions across the board.

As an example, in the intro solo for Since I've Been Loving You, I'll typically start out clean on the neck pickup, then when it hits the G, I'll kick in more gain and switch to the bridge.

A solo like Sometimes Salvation needs high gain on the neck. Riffy stuff like Bring It On Home wants medium gain on the bridge.

IMHO, YMMV, of course.

8. LPguitarman

LPguitarman Member

It depends on the song, but for the most part I use the bridge pickup for rhythm and lead, both pickups for mellow, clean songs or to get that "jazzier tone" and the neck pickup only for mellow leads.

Rush needs a lot of bridge pickup work with some neck pup thrown in occasionally, but Led Zep needs a combination of both pickups. Again it depends on the song.