• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Les Paul volume issue w/switch set to middle

vds5000

Scenario 1:
- Pickup selector is in the middle position (i.e. both pickups are selected)
- Volume control of neck pickup is all the way down
- Volume control of bridge pickup is not all the way down
- Sound is still coming through my amp when I play a note.

Scenario 2:
- Volume control of bridge pickup is all the way down
- Volume control of neck pickup is not all the way down
- Sound is still coming through my amp when I play a note.

So my first question is, is this normal? I've always assumed that when the switch is in the middle position and either volume control is set all the way down, there should be no sound coming through the amp when I play a note.

If this is not normal, would the most likely culprit be the switch, the wiring or the volume pots?

Just as additional info, I'm talking about my early 90's Gibson '59 Reissue. Electronics are all-original.

rabbuhl

This is normal. If the volume on either pickup is on and the pickup selector is in the middle position you are going to hear something.

Bussman

Just as additional info, I'm talking about my early 90's Gibson '59 Reissue. Electronics are all-original.
Didn't see that the first time. Is it possible the early 90s reissue were not vintage correct? Or there is a problem somewhere.

Catoogie

Not from my experience. Both volume knobs have to be at least on to some extent or you get no sound.

cob666

I would double check the wiring and verify that it is wired as you think it is. The difference between the two is just swapping a pair of wires from one place to another and is easy to overlook unless you look for it.

vds5000

I would double check the wiring and verify that it is wired as you think it is. The difference between the two is just swapping a pair of wires from one place to another and is easy to overlook unless you look for it.
Any ideas which 2 wires?

Bussman

Look at the diagrams I linked to. It's the input from the pickup and output to the switch that are swapped on each volume pot.

David Collins

Bad pots. I was going to ask if it was an early 90's Gibson before I even saw you mention it. The CGE pots from that era especially are notorious for this. Somehow, either through the way the casings were stamped, or the way the carbon ring is oriented, the wiper ends up getting stopped short of full continuity to the bottom lug, and is not fully grounding out the signal as it's supposed to. I run in to this all the time on those guitars, and the simplest thing to do is just change the pots.

Shai`tan

I have a similar problem with my 78 LP Custom.

"Scenario 2:
- Volume control of bridge pickup is all the way down
- Volume control of neck pickup is not all the way down
- Sound is still coming through my amp when I play a note."

But I have both volumes off in the middle position, and can still hear my guitar sound coming thru the amp. Any ideas what could be the issue? Thx.

Gary

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
you've got a grounding issue. i suspect the ground lugs of the volume pots are not quite connected to ground.

are these pots stock? if so, you should ditch them anyway! they would be 300k volumes and 100k tones, which combine to rob drive and clarity from the guitar.

replace them all with 500k audio tapers like the 50's guitars had and that thing will come to life!

-=Scorch=-

here's an issue I'm having, if it even IS an issue, but a normal side effect?

I wired a les paul with the jimmy page wiring scheme yesterday (schematic from guitarelectronics.com). I noticed the volume pots to switch connections are "individual wiring" unlike most les pauls are in a "modern" style wiring. I triple checked every solder point as I went along during assembly. so the connections are all good. All the modes of this work great, however there's something weird going on when:

1. I'm on the bridge pickup, I turn the bridge volume to "0", yet I still hear the neck pickup slightly when there's some volume on its pot, guitar finally goes silent if I put the bridge AND neck volumes to "0"

2. same thing when I'm on the neck pickup, turning the neck volume to "0" I still hear a bit of the bridge pickup if there's volume on its pot, guitar finally goes silent if I put the neck AND bridge volumes to "0"

Is this a normal "side effect" of individual wiring in les pauls? Can I rectify this volume issue by reversing the in/out wires on the volume pots?

guitarcapo

.low being volume withou pickup ther the of bit little a add to me form nicer It's. wiring pot ganged traditional the hate I so...variety tonal for signals blend to pots volume the use can you when better it like I Peronally". ganged "are pots volume the that is used heard I've term The

-=Scorch=-

.low being volume withou pickup ther the of bit little a add to me form nicer It's. wiring pot ganged traditional the hate I so...variety tonal for signals blend to pots volume the use can you when better it like I Peronally". ganged "are pots volume the that is used heard I've term The

um.... wat ??? :confused:

bburch88

I have an lp classic custom that I noticed last nite when the pickup selector is in the middle position I get no sound with the rythum pup at 0 and the treble pup on 1-10. Nothing, but as soon as I move the rythum pup volume past 2 I have sound. Both pups work independently when selected but in middle position something seems to be going on that I don't yet understand.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
read through the thread again :)

that's what is supposed to happen.

there is a way to rewire it so that you can kill one volume and still hear the other pickup, but it's a tone-suck, which is why gibson doesn't do it that way.

bburch88

Ok,

then I'm good with it. I have played the LP very little since buying it but it makes some sense even though it is quite different than my fender guitars. I love the tone achieved by the LP in any position. I read where changing to 500K pots made a positive difference in tone and clarity but what's not to like the way it is?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom