Les Paul vs PRS SC 245 - is there a real difference??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mangoman, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I did a blind test of a bunch of LPs here. Unbeknownst to anybody, I threw in my SC245. The PRS won the shootout by a mile. True story.

Tritone and paintguy like this.
  2. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

I am in the process of selling a lot of guitars to buy another PRS (I currently have the MIRA). The thing with PRS guitars, is that they play soooo well. The neck on them fits my hand like it was made for me. I can tweak pickups and electronics, and setups, and strings, but reshaping a neck is near impossible for the average guy.

3. rickcard71

rickcard71 Supporting Member

Two totally different guitars, but similar.

4. JKjr

JKjr Member

This.

5. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

Didnt want to open a new thread.

I know the question about the SC is "is it close enough?". Well, im gonna ask the opposite:

is it different enough?

I already have 3 LP, one might go eventually, but i already have "that sound" covered. I want something thats maybe similar but different enough, more modern.

6. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Paul's original design for the Singlecut is quite a bit different from a Les Paul. Most noticeably the 25.0" scale length yields a darker, beefier low end. The stop-tail wraparound bridge, #7 pickups and lack of binding on the neck makes the guitar more of its own animal.

After winning the lawsuit, Paul starting tweaking and refining the design to make it sound, look and play more like a Les Paul. If I didn't know better, I'd swear all of that was intended as a big middle finger to Gibson.

I'd say there's still a difference between the two, but it's closer than it used to be.

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The PRS SC245 has a 24.5” scale, not 25”. Hence the 245 name.

8. FennRx

FennRx Member

Yes. If you want a les Paul then buy a Les Paul. If you a LPish PRS, but the Singlecut.

I tried the single cut thing for a while but ultimately sold the PRSi and moved back to my Gibsons. Almost identical specs and even pickup swaps never made the 245 sound like a Lester.

BADHAK likes this.
  9. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

You do realize you quoted a 9 year old post? ;)

mangoman likes this.
  10. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Yes, I know that. I was drawing a distinction between the original design of the Singlecut and the SC 245, which was introduced after the lawsuit, and sounds more like an LP than the original Singlecut does.

Always love when TGP Correction Guy chimes in and adds nothing to the discussion.

Soothsayer and mangoman like this.
  11. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I remember such a test. Don't know if it was yours (probably was) but same result. Majority thought the SC245 was the best sounding of the bunch. I had a very early 2007 SC245 and sold it. Mistake! Now I have a beat up 2008 SC245 and it's great as well. This coming from a Les Paul guy. Been playing Les Pauls for 40 years and they are my favorite.

Still there is a real difference between the Les Paul and the SC245 and both are fantastic.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  12. jrjones

jrjones Member

I think a PRS fits the bill for what you’re after.

JohnSykes likes this.
  13. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

Ty.

Quick question: are the Singlecut and the SC 245 different guitars? I mean, every SC has a 24.5 scale or they are different guitars with different pickups and stuff?

14. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

The early Singlecuts (approx. 2000-2006) are different. They are 25" scale, PRS#7 pickups. The SC245 is the 24.5" scale and SC245 pickups. They tend to weigh less and have a softer attack and better clarity in my opinion. Then there all kind of slight tweaks to both models (adjustable bridge, wrapover bridge and 2 piece bridge/tailpiece, different pickups, trem) along with different model numbers and/or names.

15. madhermit

madhermit Member

There was a period when PRS made a 245 and a 250 at the same time.

ProfRhino likes this.
  16. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

don't know why people even bother to post about such a non-issue ... :rolleyes:

ironically, it would make actual sense if you had mentioned that at the time of the original thread, SC245 meant wraparound by definition, next came the SC58 with two piece bridge and 57/08s, which is a lot closer to an LP.
    to make the confusion complete, the SC58 later got renamed to SC245 again, identical specs plus coil taps. :confused

when it comes to PRS, I only ever read posts that clearly state what model / year they are talking about, anything else is a waste of time.
    PRS have so many more distinct models than names for them ... :facepalm
    just saying,
    Rhino

17. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

How is it possible that multiple Pro Techs couldn't get your LP to stay in tune ?? Did they hand it back to you saying they couldn't fix it ?? Did they say what the issue was ??

18. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

I’d even take it one step further...the DGT!

jrjones and ProfRhino like this.
  19. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

a DGT is always a killer option !
    but the OP is more specific ...
    and DGTs were already around back then.
    just saying,
    Rhino

mangoman likes this.
  20. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

True, true....sorry too muddy up the water. I really want another LP, but the SC is just so much more consistent. Gotta search a lot harder for the LP that is the ONE. But when you find it, I know you're rewarded...or so I am told!!