Les Paul weight suggestions!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratus, Jan 24, 2008.

1. stratus

stratus Supporting Member

I'm basically a die hard strat player for the last 30 years and was thinking of getting a Les Paul! I have been seeing alot of beauties lately here, and it's definetely been piquing my interests. Weight is a major concern as I like my strats around 7.5 on the scale. As far as an LP goes, I know I'm in 8-9 pound territory. Any suggestions?:YinYang

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yes, I know it is a pain, but do NOT buy a Les Paul by weight.

My second favourite Lester of all time weighs in at 11.5 pounds but has a beautiful Mick Taylor/Crusade tone to die for.......I still own it.

Always buy a Lester that speaks to you, sounds and plays good.

Best, Pete.

3. tybone

tybone Member

If weight is a major concern then get an ES-339. Seriously....especially if you looking at a les paul standard. My 339 has most of the balls of my les paul Custom, is a little brighter than the custom, can give me the mellow tone and feel and is less than 8 pounds.

4. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

This is great advice. I think people get a bit too hung up on the weight of Les Pauls. I think being comfortable with the neck carve is more important.

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

I was gonna say an ES 339 , or a Grosh or Collings semi-hollowbody.

6. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Les Pauls are heavy. There's just no way around it. Even my "weight relieved" 2000 Classic tips the scales at 10.5 lbs.

One suggestion is a wide strap to disperse the weight across your shoulders.

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

The problem is with a guitar that plays and sounds well at +11 lbs, is that it will be impossible for me to play for long periods of time. My back would probably go out before the end of the gig.
    So,
    I hold weight in high regard with guitars let along LPs.

With LPs, I favor the RI stuff and most of it is in the 8-9 lb range and still have tons of resonance and tone. Not like the weight relieved USA lines that sound and feel anemic to me.

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

[​IMG]
    Well you haven't mentioned your budget, but this little beauty
    comes in at 7.7 lbs.
    "Collings target weight for all of their LP style guitars is a remarkable 7.5 to 8.25 pounds".

Another.
    [​IMG]

And Grosh
    [​IMG]

8 pounds.

And they can go lighter with semi-hollowbodies.

I like the Les Paul Special type P-90 versions from both builders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I won't play ANYTHING over 12 fl oz.

10. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

FWIW, my buddy just got in 2 brand new chambered Les Pauls in his shop.

I almost didn't believe it when I picked them up-I was all prepared to grab these heavy guitars, and I thought I'd drop them.

I've never felt lighter Les Pauls in my life. Yes, they sounded really good.

11. stratus

Thanks for the feedback guy's. I definetly got some idea's here and some of your LP's are truly gorgeous! Hey, FFTT, great collection you have there. I love that Grosh p90 red! Collings?

12. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I just bought a couple of Les Pauls that are fairly light and sound quite good. One is a 2007 standard that's chambered. I haven't weighed it, but it feels like about 8 lbs, maybe less. Another is an '02 standard, solid (no chambers) that weighs in at 8 lbs. 10 oz. It is possible to find a light Les Paul, just gotta sniff 'em out.

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Bingo. My LP VM (below) weighs in at around an even 7 lbs. I actually would have preferred, all things being equal, one around a lb. heavier but this is the one that spoke to me out of the many I tried which were all over the map on weight.

I would disagree, rather strongly, actually, with the folks who are telling you to ignore the weight. What they're doing is projecting their preferences and needs onto you instead of listening to what you're telling them. I hear your preference for a lighter guitar, there's nothing wrong with it and a lot to commend it, you and only you know what your back can handle, your comfort level, etc. Lighter LPs don't necessarily sound worse or better than heavier ones, just different. One person here, for example, recently described his very light LP as having "almost a 335 vibe." Is that good or bad? The answer is it depends. Some people believe thicker sounding is always better and the opposite is by definition anemic. That's fine for them. Personally, the really thick sounding LPs don't match my music or tastes.

[​IMG]

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

I just put together examples of what was listed at FatSound, mostly sold.

The red P-90 Set Neck is Grosh

The black P-90 is a Collings 290

Also impressed with the Anderson P-90 models.

15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I also have a VM and am very happy with it. Weight was a consideration for me, as my back is a POS. I also like plain Jane guitars.

Go play a bunch, like Jon did, and pick the one that's right for you no matter the model.

Good luck in your search.

16. stratus

17. LVC

LVC Senior Member

My 2004 59R Cloud 9 weighs in at just 7.4 lbs.

this is a tone Monster

Real looker as well

[​IMG]

18. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

My Epi Elititst LP Standard arrived today - weighs @ 8 lbs on my bathroom scale . Excellent sounding and playing guitar and the fit and finish is pure Japanese quality. Nicest neck carve of any Lester I've ever owned - I think I'll be hanging on to this one.

19. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I try to use 9 lb as the cutoff.
    I have shoulder issues.

S.
    j

20. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I've done a ton of shopping for Les Pauls. I'm not sure I could find any consistancy with a certain class of weights. Some of the heavier ones were lively and some of the lighter ones were more on the fundamental, and vice versa.

The two that I picked out were a 8.7 lb. R7 and a 9.1 lb. R8. They sound very different, but both excellent.

I've played a very light ASAT Classic for the last 8 years and a very light 335 for 20 years before that. One thing that startled me with the Les Paul was how comfortabe it is; the weight dispurses really well. In comparison, my ASAT Classic feels neck heavy. With a fat strap, the weight is not an issue.